Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

growing up

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by eightyone, Jun 11, 2006.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

how do you deal with growing up? i am 21, i have been werkin for my dad for a few years, plan on taking over the business. i just realized all my friends just graduated college, everyone is starting to settle down, and im going to be waking up at 630am 6 days a week for like 50 more years!!! how depressing. i wish i could go back to being 15 or 16 traveling around the country just to ride my little bmx bike. when free t-shirts and shoes were the only type of income, and it didnt matter. i feel like all my dreams and ambitions are over, because i need to make money now. i cant just travel around the world for the rest of my life. how did all you "grown ups" deal with this?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

make time to enjoy life, set aside time and plan for it.. if your going to run a business, you need to know how to plan and budget.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I try not to focus on the numbers part of things. I work so I can live, not the other way around. Having to earn a living is a reality, not a jail term. Treat work as a challenge to yourself to learn and excel. The more you learn the more valuable you get to become. Soon enough it isn't much of a stretch to keep the bills paid and have some extra.

Make time for yourself, and for family.

Don't fall into the debt trap. You don't want to get to where the banks and loan companies eat more of your check than you do. Remember, it's not so much what you earn...it's what you manage to keep. If you manage your finances better than I did you will have enough to travel, or do whatever you want.

Lastly, I don't set goals more than a year or two ahead. Anything much beyond that can just get you overwhelmed.

Rene

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wise words, and just let me add that when you get into your forties won't believe how fast a year passes by. I'm real busy with my own business, working crazy hours but life has never been so good. If there was another few hours in the day and a few extra days in the week it would help enormously!
    Take Rene's advice. Keep your nose clean and enjoy your life, it'll be tomorrow before you know it.

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Best way to stay positive while growing up is to not compare yourself with other people. ( esp. your friends)

rule of thumb: while the grass may look greener on the other side of the fence, there's just as much dog poop on that side as there is on your side.

Some of your friends will envy YOU, when they realize they're stuck on a treadmill, working for a company they hate, but making too much money to justify quitting.

Some might be happy where they're at and do well, in which case you get to learn how to be happy and supportive for other people's success.

BTW, did you know there's only a few ways to make money in this world? You can either inherit it, trade hours to get dollars ( IE; a job), or generate it by serving customers with your own business.. think about it.. when you are running the family business, you can give yourself a raise just by either getting new customers, or coming up with better ways to serve the customers you already have. Pay your dues now and learn all you can, then figure out how to do it better.. you'll be able to make any dream happen for you that you want.

Your buddies in corporate america may make more money initially, but they'll always be told how much money they get to take home in exchange for the hours of their life they give, and they can be let go at any time.. and they'll work long hours too... difference is, they get a gold watch and an inadequate pension.. you'll have helped build something you can leave to your kids.

Just remember, you can long to be 16 again as much as you want, but the reality is, happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's a choice you make.

Tom

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

All great advice, but this part of Rene's and Tom's hits home. I can't count how many of my friends from school are in the "golden handcuffs". They hate their jobs, never see their kids and don't have time for anything, but they have a big house and expensive car. No thanks.

I started my career on the "make tons of money" track, and did well. I was only working 100 or so hours a week. Then I had to work through trick-or-treating when my oldest son was 3. For some reason, that hit home more than all of the other things I had missed.

I made the choice that night that it was over. I have been working a much slower paced job ever since. I love life and actually get to spend a ton of time with my kids/wife/truck/friends. I also make 1/2 what I would have been making, but it does not matter.

You can't buy back missed time no matter how much money you make.

The second piece of advice that I have is to do what you want and be good at it. If your family business is not what you want, do something else.

I did. My father made sure that my sister and I both went to school and had that choice to make. He does well, but his business had some very bad years when the economy was down and is cyclical.

He would have liked me to take it over, but is very happy with my success and knows that I always be able to make a good living because of the tools that he gave me.

Do what calls to you, life is too short to hate your job, which is where you spend more time than anywhere else.

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Good advice given here. I, for one, refuse to grow up, but if I only knew then what I know now :rolleyes: A good thing to realize early on is that things are not always going to go according to "plan". Sometimes these detours are the best times and sometimes not but may present an opportunity to learn. It's all in what you take away from each experience.

I've always thought a shorter work week would be the way to go :woot:

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Then I'd never get my work done, let alone have time for my toys and my wife:D ....I mean, have time for my wife and then my toys!:whistle:

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For whatever it's worth I'm 40 now and if I had the chance I would not want to be 16 or 18 again. Starting out in the 'real world' is an adjustment, but it's gets easier and better pretty quick. :waytogo:

Rene

10. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

thanks everyone, this is some outstanding advice. my father is a big inspiration to me, him and my uncle built up a business my grandfather gave to them. they both love it. they are general contractors. they put in long hours and lots of work, but always had time to go on field trips, and vacations, and do important family things, thats something i envy about running a business. i am trying to talk my dad into buying an excavator so we can get into doing more of that type of work. right now we have a bobcat and a backhoe, wich is good for small stuff, but i really want to do more with that, rather than acualy working with wood. i just get scared about settling down, and having real responsiblities, no more leaving home fore a few weeks with no destination. as for the debt thing, i dont even have a credit card. i dont have a truck payment, or any bills. i pay my truck insurance 6 months at a time. the ony bill i have is for my cell phone. its nice to not ever really "need" money just to survive. but i guess in a few years i will need to buy a house, and then it will all change.