Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Growl

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Dec 13, 2004.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i have an 8inch lift 4inch blocks/4in springs, i have a 465 with a 208, my driveline has been lengthend and my axel has been rotated i have 38" toyos and a 14bolt, everytime i let off the gas i get a growling sound at all speeds, but it only happens when i let off the gas, any ideas? oh yeah and i have good u-joints

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Could be a rear wheel bearing, a pinion bearing, or a side bearing (according to the gm manual). Make sure your rear diff is full of gear oil. Basically chalk it up to some type of bearing in the axle, that is if you are sure the u-joints are good.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Could also possibly be your gears... If they weren't set-up properly, they will make noise. But most describe it as a "whine"....

4. bigbadchev84

The gears are stock, i did just have to replace the seal on the passenger side axel because it was leaking gear oil pretty bad, it might be the bearings, how do i tell if there bad bylooking at them?

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Since you had it apart far enough to replace the seal, I would've just replaced the bearings at the same time. Not sure how to tell if the axle bearings are bad..... I imagine that if you jacked up that wheel by the axle and then try seeing if the is up and down play in the bearing... :dunno:

Could be a bad CV in the driveshaft too! I had this happen to me a couple times on the front shafts. The CV would wear and cause a vibration on deceleration/growl... Even in 2wd and having the hubs unlocked. You sure the "growl" is coming from the rear? Try pulling the front shaft and see if the noise goes away.. Are you running a rear CV?

6. bigbadchev84

Well i got it fingered out, the pinon crimp sleeve got cock-eyed and loosened up on the bearings, took it apart and readjusted everything tight, works great now thanks for the help

7. bigbadchev84

well i thought it was fixed, but it started doing it again today, what do you mean by side bearings? It starts to growl when i let off the gas and then start to step on the gas again, it has a little vibration to it when it does it also, i pulled the front shaft and still nothing, could it be the t-case? or does it sound like something in the rear end?

8. bigbadchev84

somebodys gotta be able to help me figure this out! anyone?

9. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

IF YOU THE UJOINTS ARE GOOD UNFORTUNATELY I THINKTHE GEARS AREW WORN OUT. WHEN UR ON THE GAS IT PUTS A LOAD ON IT WHEN YOU LET OFF IT TAKES THE LOAD OFF AND GET SLOPPY. i THINK IT HAPENED TO A CAR I HAD WHILE BACK THAT I LET GET LOW ON FLUID, IT ENDED UP GETTING REPLACED.

10. bigbadchev84

i have already had it apart and my buddy from the tranny shop fixed the crimp sleeve, he said that it looked like it was wearing great, i dont have the money to take it back into him, and i cant afford to keep replacing parts that werent the problem, im just trying to narrow it down to the rearend or the t-case

11. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

YEAH SOMETIMES TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM ON WORDS ALONE IS TOUGH. WISH I COULD HELP MORE MAN SORRY:dunno: :dunno:

12. bigbadchev84

well to date i have completely changed out the rear end with another 14boltff that i know was good, i took the driveline in and made sur it was ok, it was and balanced great, changed out the t-case with one i know is good, and now i have pulled the motor to check the clutch, input shaft etc. i can grab the input shaft and it will wiggle about 1/16 of an inch maybe a slight bit more, the clutch and eveything else looks great, i did however find that i was missing the top 2 bellhousing bolts and the others werent as tight as they should have been. could this have been the cause all along? from no on im using thread locker on them. any suggestions on what my problem could be? thanks

13. bigbadchev84

Is Anyone Gonna Take A Stab At It? I Want To Put The Motor Back In Today, But Not If The Play In The Shaft Is Too Much And I Need To Replace The Bearings