Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grr, get my own cellphone plan or let my parents pay?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 27, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can't decide if I should get my own cellphone plan or continue letting my parents pay mine. The problem is that this past month I used 1600 minutes talking to a "friend" in Louisianna. Our phone plan is 1600 minutes alone so everyone elses calls were extra charges. So either I stop talking to her so much(day doesn't feel right if I don't talk to her) or get my own plan and pay $60 a month and I would still have to stop talking to her so much cause I can't afford that many minutes... Grr I can't decide, thoughts?

2. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Pay your parents the difference between the plan they have now and an upgraded plan with more minutes.

By a ticket on Southwest and go visit your "friend".

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would just offer to chip in on the bill with them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

get your own, that way you can get a plan with unlimited night and weekends. you could also get an extra phone for her and you can get a plan with calls from mobile to mobile it will be unlimited also. check out prepaid phones also, i know you can get some fair amount of minutes at a reasonable price.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well I've decided to stop talking to her so much. I will still talk to her daily but it doesn't have to be the usual 2 hours. I just need more hobbies... but then thats more money.... maybe a girlfriend.... more money.... damnit! And I did the trip down there thing in November, I hated Louisianna but I miss it so much. I'm saving for a ticket for her to come here.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i would just offer to chip in on the bill with them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am this month but the overage charges were like $115. And we just did upgrade minutes cause of me.... I just need to work on self control. I never do on anything else cause my only vice is eating too much and I never gain weight so I don't have to, but someday that will change to so might as well start on it now.

Biggest thing is I have a Tattoo addiction and Truggy to build so money is not to spent elsewhere.

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Just get a cheap phone card and talk on the land line. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Precellphone days our method was those 10-10-**** numbers. talk for 20 minutes at .99 then hang up and do another 20 minutes. Was cheaper than the long distance. She had unlimited long distance for a couple months but now they can't afford that /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

9. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I've got my cell phone through Alltel, and so does my girlfriend. We both have unlimited cell-to-cell with any Alltel phone. It came with the plans we have. No extra charges and doesn't use any of our day (peak) minutes.

Kris

10. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

that's like an hour a day--everyday. What can you possibly talk about /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah we have that with TMobile, could always get her a phone just with the lowest minutes and call her on that, but having a phone just to talk to me seems controlling. My exes sister had a phone her boyfriend paid for that was JUST for talking to him. It was creepy, this is different scenario of course.

12. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I didn't know if y'all had the same company or not. I can see how that would seem controlling or creepy, but if she is alright with it, and so are, it gives you both the chance to talk whenever you please.

Kris

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

more like 2 hours a day 5 days a week.... I don't know what we talk about but we don't run out of things. Think about the person you've loved most in your life, but never being able to even see there face, or hold them, you'd come up with stuff to talk about too. When we are together we just enjoy silence a lot of the time.

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Life is so confusing.... Z3PR See that! CONFUSING dammit... Not Confucing....

I feel the pain....

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If you decide to get your own, ask them what the deposit requirements are. When I got mine I had no credit history and therefore had to fork over 400 bones for a deposit... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

16. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Life is so confusing.... Z3PR See that! CONFUSING dammit... Not Confucing....

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Sorry... to contribute to the thread, I would agree with the "have her get a cell phone with the same company and get free mobile to mobile minutes"

That seems like the cheapest/easiest way to go about it. Hell, if you drop shitty T-Mobile and get like Nextel or Verizon you can have the walkie-talkie feature and its like she is in the next room. (sorry... T-Mobile sucks donkey caulk /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif here in Vancouver Wa.)

17. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

whats her #? might be local for me... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

She lives over by Lake Charles, and thats all you get! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ok...tattoo addiction and building a truggy...and your folks pay your cell phone.

I vote, get your own line and exercize some self control man...2 hours on the phone per day is insane. My wife and I are on cingular 700 min and at the end of last year (after having the service for 4 months), we had 1200 min in rollover. The plan this year is to keep the 700 till about july, and then drop to 250 or 300 for the rest of the year... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Most of the suggestions so far pretty much sum it all up but since I was in a very similar situation not long ago I'll add my 2 cents.

Cell phones aren't the only way. Most "land line" companies now offer unlimited longdistance calling for around $30 a month.

And since everyone is tossing out opinions on cellphone carriers, I vote for SprintPCS. I never liked sprint all that much but the person I called the most had sprint so it was kind of a no brainer. I have the cheapest plan (300 anytime minutes) plus free nights/weekends starting at 7pm (btw that offer ends on jan 31st) and unlimited sprint to sprint minutes...total monthly charges = $45. My month is almost over and I still have over 200 minutes left. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Also if you have terrible credit the deposit is $125.00 That's kind of high but a whole lot better than $400+ like someone else mentioned. And if you ask nicely, they can even give you a number that is local to her so she can call you as easily as you call her.

Oh and 2 hours/day is nothing Try more like 4-5/day /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif