Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grrr just got a parking ticket

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 7, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Stupid. Ticket says there is a prohibited parking sign posted. I'm gonna go look for it since I do not see it anywhere. Parking along the road beside my house is like the only place I can park my Suburban and I get a ticket for doing it. Landlord said the old people did it all the time, mom commented "yeah until a 19 year old kid wants to do it".

2. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

If there is a sign, then not much you can do about it. If there is no sign, then take pictures of your Suburban parked there that shows no signs. Then call and try to talk with City Hall about the tkt. You might be able to get it dropped before the court date. If not, then go in front of the Judge and show him the pictures that there is no sign saying no parking. good luck.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Fight it fight it fight it.
    The last time I was in court, I brought 8 parking tickets with me, I think a total of $300-$400 in fines. I made a deal with the "DA" to pay $160 and wipe out all tickets instead of fighting them. Certainly easier, but I'm a little annoyed that tickets written to my plate but for other vehicles were marked "Paid".

Fight it with photographic evidence, and be firm and not nervous. Watching people in court, the ones who do the worst are the ones that are obviously nervous and obviously expect the judge to excuse them for a stupid reason. Handicap parkers seem to be the worst at this, they somehow feel it was ok for them.
    Anyway, the people that acknowledge the judge's power and respect his position, but present a good argument without being self-righteous, fare much better. They don't always win, but they seem to have a better chance and win more often than the others.
    You can present the argument that someone else used to do it all the time, but bear in mind the judge's perspective is "they just didn't get caught, that doesn't make it legal". I don't think I would necessarily use it unless there IS a sign posted. In that case, I'd ask for leniency as it's a first time offense and, I'd explain to the judge that I was a new tenant there, and the landlord had indicated that the last tenants had used the space for parking, so I did so as well, not seeing the sign or not realizing it was an illegal place to park.
    In any event, good luck!

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

GRRRRR!!! This is the third or fourth post this week it's dumped on me!

Anyway, what I basically said in the much longer post that was dumped:

If there *IS* a sign, make sure it's not damaged or vandalized or can be construed not to indicate your spot is in violation, and get pictures if it is. I've gotten tickets in the past when parked 30 feet from a sign that was so badly faded I couldn't tell if it said don't feed the bears or no parking anytime.

Good luck again!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I found the signs. THere is an overpass next to my house and their are clear signs saying no parking under the overpass HOWEVER I was parked next to my house not the overpass. I am gonna take the picture of it parked there and where the signs are in relation and go to pay it with the picture. I was facing the wrong direction but I want to be able to park in the spot. It was only a $10 fine so its not about the money.