Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GRRR!!! SM465

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Sep 6, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

This frocker won't go in its hole. Been fighting to get it back mounted to the bell housing for the past 2 hrs. The new flywheel and clutch are in just this SOB won't mount up. Any suggestions or techniques? I am getting really pissed and the tropical storm in the gulf is about to throw lots of rain on my project. SO much for finishing this project tonight and making a road trip in it tomorrow morning!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

stupid question but did you use a clutch alignment tool?

3. BowtieBlazer

if this is the proper way to use it I did.... set the pressureplate into place clutch in between it and the flywheel.....stuck one bolt into the fly wheel just started the threads to hold it hanging. Inserted the alignment tool. As deep as it would go. It was nice and firm, so I assume it was seated well into the pilot bushing...not to mention it was in there deep. Maybe an inch of the 5-6" tool was showing. Tightened all pressureplate bolts to spec. and removed the alignment tool...installed bell housing...slid tranny into place...thing is that it won't go the extra 2" to make itself flush with the bell housing so i can tighten it down. The tranny and engine seem to move as one when I try to jack up one or the other. What gives?

4. mudhog

if you have a fixed yoke try putting it in nutral and turning it when pushing the tranny in if not have someone put the driveline in the back and turn it while you are trying to put it in also grab hold of the back of the tranny and shack it up and down and side to side while pushing it in

5. BowtieBlazer

I seperated the t-case from the tranny for it to be easier to man handle the big heavy beast. I have been wiggling it back and forth side to side. Haven't tried turning the spindle any yet though....going back out be back in 30 min or so....probably only to be more pissed off... hehe Aint workin on trucks great the night before you need them! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. mudhog

sounds like the splines are not linning up try turning the output shaft while trying to push it in it takes a combonation of all of the things listed above sometimes lol hope it gois in for you without to much more trouble /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Honestly, I remember plain beating mine into submission - that is when it finally fell into place, with one final swift two-footed all-out KICK to the transfer case! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I installed the BH, and then installed the trans, adapter, and xfercase as one unit.

I wish you luck. Get a buddy or twelve to help... that is about all I can offer. I man handled mine into place, so dont be afraid to get a little rough with her! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

8. BowtieBlazer

doin lots of man handling, lacking the buddy's right now they all live an hour away, the ones in town are spending time with their significant others.... Trying everything, well as much of everything as one person can do..

9. BowtieBlazer

okay so, i just got it all the way in with lots of man handling...hope nothing is broken...didn't hear anything so I guess its fine. Got underneath the truck like i was gonna take it like a gay man in the rear from the tanny - tcase adaptor, rocked it back and forth with my legs on the sides of the tranny, while spinning the shaft....glad none of the neighbors were awake to see the scene. didn't work...so i backed the tranny off, checked the alignment tool and it was still fine....gave the tranny a running start and pounded it into the hole, shook it and shook it vigorously and BAM!!!! In the hole it went! Flush with the bell housing! I got a grin from ear to ear /forums/images/icons/grin.gif let my butt rest for a few seconds as i stared in amazement and then ran out the truck jumping up and down hands in the air like I just didnt care, in triumph. Thanks for the encouragement to give it what it deserved!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif CK5 peepz rock!!!

10. mudhog

woohoo congrats /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Stay dry over there /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif They are saying to expect 10 inches here tomorrow. I was told that the water was allready coming over the sea wall in Galveston and the road down to Sabine Pass is flooded. With this thing stalling it could get bad, like last year. Just read it could be a hurricane by the morning /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif . (maybe I should go put my top on /forums/images/icons/blush.gif )

12. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Dude.. quit jumping up and down and go bolt it up before it pops off... Your neighbors might be up by the time you'd get it back on... lol

Congrats! and yes the peepz here rock!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

13. BowtieBlazer

yet another reason i wanted my 4x4 back together, a 2wd doesn't cut it any better than a car in high water, buckle down over there...its definately looking like another Allison type ordeal where we get many inches of rain ....the wind is really picking up here...my tarp over my truck thats there to keep me dry is getting thrashed!

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

usually have to depress the clutch pedal to get that last bit

15. KRAZIE87K5

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAA! Sounds just like my reaction when I got mine in all the way! I too wasted lotza time trying to be all nice to the damn thing... then I got frustrated, and did just like your post said. Just like you, a gained back just enuf strength to go do the "stupid happy dance" in the front yard! Come to think of it, mine was around 11pm also! Too damn funny...

It takes a lot outta you to get it in there doesn't it? I was feeling like I just finished working out once that damn thing lined up flush! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Glad to hear you got it in okay! Now get everything else together, and let us know how it drives! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Dan

16. BowtieBlazer

HOOOLLLYYYYY!!!! This thing grabs with the least amount of pressure let off the clutch. It really grabs well, doesn't shimmy either as i ease away from traffic lights, scared to dog it just yet, we'll see soon enough how it handles 330 horses

17. KRAZIE87K5

You should try nailing my 454 powered K5 once! 400HP/480FTLBS! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Dan

18. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

what kind of clutch did you get? A fancy dual friction setup or just an OEM type clutch?

I get to start that ordeal in the morning. My clutch just burned out on me... nothing sucks more than getting towed back from wheelin' /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

19. BowtieBlazer

One of the fancier jobs....not a 300$ one but a heavy duty app 12" three prong diaphram instead of 11" clutch with many smaller splines in the diaphram. It already feels way better in the pedal and I am liking the way this heavy duty one grabs. It Grabs almost all or none...we'll see as time goes by if I can smooth out my shifts with this clutch.

20. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Don't need no stinkin' clutch to shift, just for starting and stoping. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif