Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GRRRR.. i HATE q-jets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazeonchevy, Aug 25, 2006.

1. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

me and my dad rebuilt my q-jet about a month ago... ran perfect everytime i drove it. then one day my dad drives it and says it flooded out on him and died a few times.. i said wtf?? it was running fine?? so i got out there and looked at it being the night before the first day of school.. couldent see anything.. started it and it ran fine... took it for a drive and everything was good. then just last night i was driving around and nearly floored it passing someone with excessive force:doah:.. and at the next redlight it died... i got it home and it was puking gas out around the shaft that holds the secondary butterflies(:confused: something like that).. my dad comes walking around the corner and and i told him that i had floored it and this happened.. and suddenly his memory cleared up and he said....."oh yea when i took your truck i floored it going down hw87" ......i just laughed...but im thinking that for some reason the secondaries are still pumping gas even after the butterflies close.. but i cant figure out why.... any advice?......were both kind of perplexed.. i called him today and he said he wants to take it off again and look at something but he didnt tell me what.. maybe he has a plan.. but last night he was all for buying a holley or edelbrock..;)

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Get the rochester book. Read it fix your carb I am not sure what your problem is. You may have a needle and seat sticking. IMHO the quad is the best carb around better fuel mileage than a holly and nearly as much power if tuned right the same as a well tuned holly.

3. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

the q-jet can supply upto 750 cfm (i might be wrong), but its not easy to tune as the holley,

what do you think is the best and easiest way to tune a q-jet..

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like maybe your secondary rods are hanging up. I'd check them out, make sure the rods are hanging properly. Nothing there to get them jammed up. Also check the linkage make sure it's not messed up somehow.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Second this.

IMO, I believe the Q-jet is the better carb than the others for the same reasons quoted above.

BTW, I've heard the Q-jet will supply up to 850 CFM if built right.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

here's the book you want....

[​IMG]

Pretty sure Scott is on the right track... sounds like the sec. rods hanging up, prolly from the WOT..

No contest IMO, the Quadrabogs are a much better carb than a Holley for most uses.... It's funny how widely used the quads are in the marine biz, but whenever we see a Holley, they have issues...

7. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I am with the secondary rods hanging up crowd. If care isn't taken in re- assembly of the carb.it Is pretty easy to get them screwed up and make them stick full open.

9. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah man sounds like the rods are haning up. Make sure there not bent and the little hanger is free moving and then check linkage. IMO The q-jet is a much better carb than the edelbrock carb. I ran on my 78 pick up and on my 84 blazer. The engine in the 78 had blot on parts intake exhaust etc. The edelbrock was great for a rolling start and strait line only. Hard launches and sharp truns or even hitting the breaks hard it would cut out. Same on the blazer only i use the blazer more off road and it would be ideling on a lil bit of an incline and just flood out and die. Just thought i would share.

10. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

im about to go look at it now.. as much as i love driving my moms old ghetto sled (91 caprice):wink1: its just not the same as driving a truck. my dad mentioned checkin those rods to make sure they move free. i have just been working alot.. i got off work an hour ago. i almost want to park it around back and fix everything else thats wrong with it before i start driving it again. :rolleyes: we all know what that leads to.... it will probably see the road a year from now with 38's and 1 tons :haha: .. i wish...

well thanks for all of your replies and i have heard about those qjet books.. or rochester books. i want to pick one up since these carbs are sooooooo common.. we have 3 trucks with them as it is... well im off. thanks yall.

11. greenbeater

greenbeater Registered Member

the q-jet will run better at more angle(while wheeling) than most holley's also.