Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grrrr... what do you guys use for broadband and satellite tv?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, May 25, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

got my new pad... next paycheck is all mine and I want to sign up for broadband internet and satelitte TV. Of course there are only about 984754987549584 options and each has 8947439543877 rules/regs/requirements. This is a real PITA. What do you guys use and how do ya like it?

right now Im thinking DirectTV via rapidsatellite.com, basic 110 channel package + locals for $35/mo (avg over the course of a year, starts at $30, goes to $40 after 6 mos) for the TV... not sure on broadband.

Comcast Cable has been VERY unreliable in my area so I'd like to get DSL... but I don't think I can get DSL without some sort of stupid land-line phone service BS piled on top of it. All I want is DSL... no local phone service, no long distance... JUST dsl, is that even possible, via any provider? If not, guess I might have to go with cable. Not sure why anyone even owns landlines anymore, haven't cell phones taken that chit over yet? lol!

anyway, what do you guys use, like and pay?

j

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Where I am now ( work ) we have separate connections. Phone is by one company (xo) and DSL is another (qwest) , not sure up there, but you should be able to get stand alone DSL line. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

We use Dish Network satellite TV, basic package, 100 (or so) channels for $24.99/month, Ive added on the Outdoor Channel for an extra $1.99/month. We can get local networks with an antenna. For internet I use Cox Cable and am very happy with it. $39.95/month unlimited use /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

DISH network $60 a month for 150 channels including locals and 3 receivers. DISH has dual tuner receivers, so one receiver can record 2 channels at once and play them back on 1 TV or on a second one. That was the appeal for me over Direct TV.

Internet is DSL from Verizon, also have local phone service. $40 a month for DSL. Never had a prob with it.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have tried everything over the past couple years and ended up going back to comcast. Believe it or not, it has been more reliable than DSL and satellite. Satellite semmed to go out everytime there was a little bit of a weather change and DSL just wasn't near as fast or reliable than cable modem. Do the research and figure out what works best for you.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The local cable TV company (Midconet) I have the full digital cable package (All the movie channels), internet, and telephone all on one bill. Normally around $130.00 a month.

7. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    ... you should be able to get stand alone DSL line. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting... gonna have to check that out. Wonder if they penalize you for only getting broadband, like comcast does with cable internet. If you dont have cable TV through them also, you pay more per month. My dad pays about $100 month just for comcast digital cable and cable internet. On his HDTV big screen, regular TV shows on the major networks look like crap IMO... and our internet service is very... VERY unreliable. Sometimes it goes down for 5 mins.. sometimes 5 days. I cant imagine anything less reliable...

anyway, I don't see any reason to pay over $50/mo for broadband... and comcast wants $52.xx after the intro 3 months...

j

8. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Only a few companies offer dsl without paying for their local line (local here is about 20 with taxes)

have direct tv I hate it since it goes out when it rains heavy. Plus it is slower then cable when switching channels.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you dont have cable TV through them also, you pay more per month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cablevision/OptimumOnline does the same thing here. I think we're being charged around $50 a month (I work from home a lot, I expense the cable bill /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

So, I'm using OptimumOnline Cable modem for broadband and don't think I've ever had a failure. We're using Directv for $40 a month with the basic channels, which I think is around 40 or 50 (I dunno, as long as it has Comedy central and the discovery-type channels).
    Just saw that about the heavy rain...our has gone out maybe 2 or 3 times in heavy thunderstorms in the last year, but my dish is also fairly close to some trees that may interrupt the path in heavy weather.
    I know directtv also has some great deals going on. I was thinking of dumping my equipment and going to best buy to get another deal at the same monthly with new equipment and more receivers...

I know you didn't ask, but if you're considering the broadband phone, keep a cell phone or traditional land line handy. My psychotic mother in law got the ip phone through the cable company, and rarely if ever has phone service.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm across the river from ya and have had Comcast cable broadband for over 2 years now...........without an outage. Not one. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Plus with having the basic cable package with them (not digital cable - hate it - change channels takes too long /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif) it is $45 a month plus the basic cable for $40 - all this in 5, yes, 5 locations at no extra cost. Try that with satellite.

11. jekbrown

cable internet might be ok, but their TV service sucks IMO. My dad has had basic cable, digital cable, HDTV digital cable etc etc etc and all of it has sucked... so satelitte is where its at for me. The larger better-reception dish is only $19.99, I'll prolly go with that... maybe it'd help with the rain thing.

thats gonna be $35/mo... and my goal is to get net + tv for under $100/mo... so if I cant get DSL for less than $65/mo something is wrong. Guess I'll call Qwest (only dsl provider here AFAIK) and see what the score is...

j

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    not digital cable - hate it - change channels takes too long

[/ QUOTE ] Seriously, it still takes like a month for the channel to change???I thought they'd have figured that out by now.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

13. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thats gonna be $35/mo... and my goal is to get net + tv for under $100/mo... so if I cant get DSL for less than $65/mo something is wrong. Guess I'll call Qwest (only dsl provider here AFAIK) and see what the score is...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you can get cable internet, ours is $39.95/month if I added a service or $49.95 alone. I added the phone for $24/month.....Im very happy with Dish Network for TV, cable internet and phone....all for about $90/month plus once you use cable internet you'll never want to go back to dial up or DSL again.

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    not digital cable - hate it - change channels takes too long

[/ QUOTE ] Seriously, it still takes like a month for the channel to change???I thought they'd have figured that out by now.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno, had it when we first moved back here 4 years ago..........got tired of it taking 5 seconds per channel change PLUS all the unsolicited advertising on each page pissed me off. Simpler to just use a cable ready TV and basic + cable (70 channels). Has all I need. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif