Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Capman2k, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

How perfect... I took my Blazer to the shop to get a problem checked and fixed and just got called saying it'll be Monday before I get it... First I was told I just needed a tune up and now the carb is being overhauled, the rear drive shaft is about to fall off and it needs new U-Joints... I just kinda acted like I knew what the hell he was talking about and hoped it's not gonna cost more than $600...

Anyone wish to explain what's going on in english????????

what's worse I left my CD's and my parking lot tag in the Blazer expecting to get it back this afternoon... how rude...

79 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/capman2k/>Go Here</a>
    Wyoming doesn't exist, the map maker just needed to fill the space above Colorado[​IMG]

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Sure let me explain Carl, you don't know and they know you don't know and you know they know you don't know, hence the giant CACHINGGGG at the end of the conversation, hope this clears things up[​IMG] and since your still in school I'd take some automotive classes[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Hmmm... thanks for the explanation [​IMG]

at least I'll have a running truck in the end of the CAHINGGG at the end... unless they drop it on something and I have to go get ANOTHER new one... I'm starting to think I should've considered getting the rust bucket for a couple hundred more :D

Wyoming doesn't exist, the map maker just needed to fill the space above Colorado[​IMG]

4. english_bloke

english_bloke Registered Member

".....the rear drive shaft is about to fall off and it needs new U-Joints"

I would ask him how much play the drive shaft had. If he stumbles around with an answer, ask him to show you the play in it. If the drive shaft is about to fall out, then when he reaches up to jiggle the drive shaft it will be very apparent that the u-joint is bad if it is "about to fall out". I think he is elaborating a bit. Of course, I could be mistaken.

Cheers,

The English Bloke

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you stumbled across a con-artist. Make sure they keep all the old parts that they replaced and you get to see them. Verify that the old parts are worn out and check to make sure they actually came out of your truck and not something they had laying around in the shop.

E PLURIBUS UNUM

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Before I became a certified know-it-all I had my distributor competely redone, plugs, and a full carb overhaul for $399. You are defintely getting screwed. Carbs can be tricky and you may wish to pay to have that overhauled but I'd get it back before they did all those other "repairs". Those are all very basic things we have to do and we could help you do it yourself!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel, we were all beginners once. Ujoints are the little "cross" looking things at the ends of your driveshaft. If they were going bad they would've been making some noise while you were driving... usually sounds like BB's being dropped on glass. The sound would've been pretty noticable specially if they say your shaft is about to fall off! Ujoints are very simple to replace. They cost around $20 for good ones. Ujoints are common to break on the trail and can be easily replaced out there. The carb is a little more complicated. Try to take someone who knows about cars with you to the shop.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers 14Bolt/ Dana44 4.10's
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

My wife took her car to the dealer to have it serviced and they told her the brakes only had 10% left when actually after I looked they had about 90% left... They're not all bad so no one start bitching but it helps to have friends and to learn for yourself, and the giant Cachingg sound should light a fire under your butt to learn(it did me), plus it's way funner to tear it apart yourself [​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I had a long repsonse written and then my computer crashed........talk about GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!! Basically, I told you(like Blazerboy said above) to make sure that the shop can show you the used parts that they removed from your truck before you pay the bill. If they can't, they have no proof that the repairs occured because your parts were faulty, and you don't owe them a penny.

FYI, I walked out on a $600 bill once because the shop had "thrown out" my old parts. I asked to borrow the phone so I could call the cops. The dude refused to let me use his phone, so I ripped the keys out of his hands and left without paying. I never heard from the guys again.....

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

10. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

11. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

GET THE OLD PARTS...

Otherwords your getting screwed!!!

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!!!!!![​IMG]

13. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

And one other thing, if they say they threw them out then they need to dig them out of the dumpster out back. The old parts must be somewhere in their shop.

E PLURIBUS UNUM

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. I went today to check in on my pickup at the paint shop - in 3 weeks they've managed to take the mangled fender off, and get the front clip and one door scuffed[​IMG] I could have laid a killer paint job on it myself in this time frame. Just to give you an idea of costs - I somewhat recently had to have an emergency U-joint and yoke replacement done on a Friday afternoon, in a nowhere town, and it cost me $170 and change including a new/used K30 slip yoke. As for a carb rebuild, the last time I had one done, it was $50 at a dealer. I've never paid to have a tune-up done, so I can't give you much of an idea there. Definitely make them keep your parts they removed - it sounds like they're trying to take you for a ride.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

15. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys for the info... I'll go ahead and have the work done and take the parts home with me to put in the back yard ([​IMG]) and see about getting into an auto class at the college soon :D I've already had my share of frustrating mechanic issues in the last year...

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Good for you [​IMG]