Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GSA Auctions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hans999999, Feb 23, 2006.

1. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

anyone ever buy anything through gsaauctions.gov? any problems?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not me...

I have yet to actually buy anything at the GSA auctions held nearby in Taunton Ma,but I have gone to several of them to see whats up for sale..many of the trucks I looked at went for WAY more than I felt they were worth..

Like an old Amtrack truck that had train wheels so it could be driven on the tracks(a maintenence truck)..it was a crew cab dually 4x4,with a 454 in it,a 1992 I think..looked like a train HIT it,every panel was dented,lots of rust,beaten in general..because it had the 454,SM465,etc,all the junkyard guys bid on it,until all the "regular joes" were forced to back out..it sold for 2800 dollars,no way would I have paid more than a thousand TOPS..but they knew the motor would fetch at least a grand alone.

The only thing I heard guys grumbling about was the prices,the condition of some vehicles cant be determined readily (parts missing,wont start,etc)..that and the fact you MUST remove any vehicle you purchased within a certain time limit (2 bussiness days I think)..if you fail,the sale is forfited,and you lose your money ,as far as I know...

I rarely see any "bargains" there,for the most part..too many people know about them now,and are trying to make an easy living off auctioned vehicles and equipment in this area now..I've seen guys buy traded in vehicles directly from car dealerships, BEFORE they send the stuff to auction,and get some really killer deals!..(I'm talking about buying a 95 F150 4x4 for 500 or less,in decent condition,as an example!)--once they hit the auction,the sky is the limit..

There is a glut of used cars here,not so many trucks,but quite a few....within 1 mile of my home,there is a Toyota,Honda,Subaru,GM,Chrysler,Nissan,and Ford,Lincoln Mercury dealerships,so there are more vehicles than you can shake a stick at,plus many used car lots...they call it the "Raynham Automile",all the dealerships are in a row..I heard one guy I know who tows tell me they JUNK about 100--150 cars a WEEK!..just to keep the lot clear for NEW cars and trucks!..
    I can't sell my 79 C10 in decent shape for 500 bucks here,because I could probably buy a 1995 Chevy 2wd for the same money around here now..:mad:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its very easy, just remember that you pay for the item as soon as you win, you pay a 10% commission, and you have to go get it fast.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

only if I did buy from the auction, I bought it twice:haha:

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I bought one of my v3500s thru gsa...
    it was a pita

the truck was reasonably priced although some others were killer better deals...I just wanted the v3500...
    I couldnt drive it so when I got it and drove it home I discovered front end wobble that took 500 to fix...
    the truck was unsmogged.. isn that great the govt doesnt have to comply with smog... anyway I had to go to a calif referree station to smog and that was a pita... even tho it was bone stock the timing was off 2 degrees and they failed it for that and I had to go into the parking lot reset it and go back,,, they said no retest the same day and I had to come another day,,, what a total joke
    I also had to get the truck weighed,,, certified for dmv
    lastly,, they are strict about getting them out of there... would I do it again... a qualified maybe...

I do have to say a super clean ford bus diesel went that day for 250.00... last item.. no one wanted it and then somebody bid 250... they held it for a bit and let it go.... the bus was probably worth 5-10k

6. olskool

olskool 1/2 ton status

I'm currently in the military and we usually get new gov't vehicles every 75 thousand miles. The old vehicles go to the GSA auctions. When I say 75,000 mi, they are hard miles put on by teenagers as well as some people that just don't care. I've seen and done :D some some crazy sh*t in these cars, trucks and even minivans. You have no idea what these vehicles go through when the people driving them don't have to pay for maintenence or repairs.

7. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

No bad words here

I bought my blazer from them a year ago. An 85 with 60,000 mles and very little rust. Paid $2850 and put a starter on it and drove it. Would I do it again? Yes, maybe. No real problems, just lots of people bidding with deep pockets and little sense.
    George