Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

guage cluster with tach question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Oct 10, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

what is involved in putting a guage cluster with a tach from a 73 truck into my 85 jimmy, which doesn't have a tach???

i know it can be done, but i'm sure it's not just a plug in and go type deal

2. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The first things that come to mind:

'73 will have Mechanical Oil Pressure, you are electric.
    '73 has a current gauge, you have voltage.

You'll have to make sure the sending units are right for gas/temp.

You'll have to run a signal wire from the distributor to the harness input for the tach.... not sure on how to do that. (get attached to the right trace)

Personally, I think it would be a LOT of work and you should look for a cluster that more closely matches your inputs.....

3. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

i think that's what i'm going to do, need to hit up the JY this weekend anyway

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As mentioned, the 73 cluster will have an amp gauge while your truck has a volt gauge. Simple re-wiring required to swap it over to a newer volt gauge, just need one post on positive, and the other on negative.

73 cluster also uses a mechanical oil pressure gauge, which is way more accurate than your current electric gauge. Be a simple matter of running the oil pressure line from the oil port by the distributer up to the dash bezel.

73's cluster will also have a different sending unit for the temperature gauge, but you can simply pull the 73 gauge out, and swap the newer gauge in.

Hooking the tach up is easy -- 12 volt ignition wire (tie into a pink & black wire somewhere), a ground wire, and a tach lead, which runs to the TACH post on your distributer cap, right beside the power wire.

Finally, if your truck has cruise control, you will not be able to use it anymore, as it's speed signal comes off the back of the speedometer. Depending on the speedo, some of them are quite easy to retrofit a VSS onto though.

Russ

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have been trying the idiot lights to gauges thing and the wiring of the cluster connector is where the problem lies. The sending units have to be changed on the temp and oil pressure. The volts I am not sure the wiring looks like one to a hot controlled by key and that is simple part. The pale blue buckets that hold gauges all look the same (I have a tach one missing needle) so the holes are there on my 87 where the fuel gauge is.

To be truth full I have given up on the switch because I don't have the time or patients (i know wrong word) to deal with it. I am looking for small Sun gauges to fit in the buckets I have a volts and temp from a trio set. I used the oil pressure one in a 1980 Z28 I had. As for a tach just buy one and mount it to the column.

6. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

i got my tach mounted on were the shifter goes on a automactic steerin colum (My truck is manual so i dont need automatic shifter )
    should be a pic on my car domain looks like it was made for it
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2470315/1

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The donor setup I got was all electric but what I did was use the housing for the gauges with the tach and swapped my speedo, volt, temp and oil gauges into it. The speedo has the VSS in it that is why I had to keep my orginal speedo the donor was the old 100 MPH speedos too:doah: (which I still have). The wiring in my case was the same so it was plug n play I did not change any pins in the plug. The circuit board on the back rerouted the fuel gauge inputs therefore no need to repin anything.
    [​IMG]

I had it recalibrated to be a 7K tach and refaced but it is a factory tach:D.

Ira

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

7k tach what is that from????

9. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

mmmmm