Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guage Overlays

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83_K5, Dec 27, 2002.

1. 83_K5

83_K5 Registered Member

My guages on my K5 have never been bright enough at night for my taste even with new bulbs. I was wondering if anyone here has used those guage overlays that they sell on ebay or at durangedesign.com? They look like they might help my cause, but am a little skeptical. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

try some of those super white bulbs

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I had some custom gauge overlays made. Still haven't worked up the courage to remove the needles from some of hte gauges. Do the needles come off of all the gauges? How would you know if you got it back on in the right place? I messed around with an old not functioning water temp gauge and the pin under the needle doesn't have any kind of alignment notch or anything like that.

4. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

83 K5, i have heard the durangodesigns overlays arent that great. contact Chevychic, she is a fellow member here, she makes some very nice overlays.. i am sure she wouldnt mind sending you a complete set, possibly for a small fee....

jon

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Are you talking about something like mine? Link below, "my truck now" album. I got mine at www.acmetruckparts.com they were like $80 or so, but the needles are a pain to realign. My temp gauge now when cold is a tick under C, when normal a tick over C, and overheating is anything above that tick lol. Its rather inprecise but i know about where they are supposed to be. I believe your best bet would be to switch the key on, not start it, and then take a dig camera pic of all the guages and be sure to align em to those positions, or if no dig camera, just make careful note of em. Also if you have the clock, my guages dont come w/ a clock option its just a blank spot, course i didnt have a clock so it didnt matter.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i was thinking about getting the white face guages and possible get a black light to make them really stand out. anyonw know if /where i might be able to find some?

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

gauges above, black lights, look at like home depot or lowes maybe, they have a lot of blacklights around here for some odd reason. Hah i thought of that b4 i put my dash back together i woulda put em in, but im not tearing it apart, so at night mine look kinda green.

8. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

You might check around some larger truck stops. You never know, they might even have the backlight bulbs in black.