Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guage.

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 5, 2001.

My 87 Jimmy has a volt guage in it that I think is Fubar. It reads way low! I've put a tester on the batter to see what the alternater is putting out and it puts out a steady 14 to 14.5 volts but the guage will only read 9 to 12. The more acessories(lights, heater, blinker etc.) that I put on, the guage will read lower. But with the acessories on the guage on the battery still reads 14 volts. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem or anything like it. I know it is a very cheap factory electric guage (that aren't known for their accuracy) but I don't like how it moves like you think it would but just really low. Any help is apreciated.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The gauge isn't reading the battery, it's picking up the line coming into the cab. That's why you see a drop when you turn stuff on. The best way to fix that would be to run a larger wire into where ever the harness is supplied. I don't know where that is. That way more current draw won't drop the voltage to the accessories or the gauge. You could also wire the gauge directly to the battery somewhere to get a better reading.
    Sounds like the gauge works fine, it's changing like it's supposed to, it's just not wired in perfectly.
    Good luck!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

2. I forgot to mention that my guage will read right when the truck is cold, or it is cold out. But when warm weather comes around, even if the truck is cold, the guage will read low when first started and stay that way. But now that it is winter and very cold here, it reads about 14 volts when first started and goes down slowly from there as the truck warms up. Just thought this might make a difference. Thanks Ben

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Resistance in a wire goes up as it gets hotter, so your wire going to the gauge is just too small. You're dropping voltage between the batt and gauge. You may want to try to wire the gauge with actual wire instead of running off the printed circuit for the gauge pack. Or install another volt gauge wired up better.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

You might also want to look for a bad connection between the wiring and the printed circuit. I've seen a few of them mess up.

Smitty