Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guages.... How many, what kind?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Overkill, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering how many people have custom dash setups with aftermarket guages. I am planning a custom alum dash with the full array of insturmentation. ie. fuel, speed, tach, water temp, oil temp, oil press, trans temp, trans press, volt, ammeter, and anything else I can monitor, hehe. Just curious as to who has done what and looking for those "damn why didn't I think of that" ideas. Thanks,

Jamie

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

check out my link to see my setup, VDO gauges, and install was pretty easy. I went with oil pres, temp, volts, fuel, speedo, and RPM. great think about speedo is that is can be recalibrated very easily if a gear change or tire size is modified.

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Does that speedo have an adjustment knob on the back or something? I've always wondered how if there was an easy way to do that.

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

if you're not worried about the odometer, you can change the calibration on a speedometer by removing it from your pannel, and tightening, or loosening the tension spring mounted on the back. it'll be pretty hit andmiss, but its a lot cheaper then having a speedo shop do it...

also, for gauges, I have a secondary gauge pannel extending out on top of the dash, which includes, ( depending on truck)
    77 C20: Vac, Tach, Ammeter, open hole for a tranny temp. stock gauges are all still functional and include voltimeter, oil, temp, fuel, speedo.
    73 K20: Vac, oil, water, voltimiter. stock gauges include ammeter(broken) temp (faulty sending unit), fuel, speedo, and Tach ( works on Voodoo.. occasionaly works perfect, occasionaly works wrong, usualy doesn't)

-Rich

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

solo, how much did that set up run you? And what all did the kit come with?

6. solowookie

you see the button on the front of the speedo - well this is an electronic speedo so you replace the speedo cable.

you hold down that button on the front of the speedo until it comes up to autocl on the LDC - and then you drive to a mile marker, press the button, drive to the next mile marker, and press the button again. thats is all there is to the calibaration.

it will also allow you to set the odometer to the correct number of miles (according to your old odometer) if you desire. I just let mine start at zero again.

7. solowookie

muddin - there was no kit. I have a parts like from VDO if you'd like it, but the whole thing cost me around $375 cuz summit gave me a coupon at the time for 10% off all orders, but I think if you do it now you're talking like $425.

I'm going to do the gauges in my other k5 sometime, and I was looking into autometers vs. VDO for that. well there are some people that have done some really nice autometer setups here, but after looking at the details I decided I wouldn't run them. with the VDO's on the back of the gauges is simply a screw on thing that mounts the gauges - very simple, and very reliable. with the autometers it looks like you have to run cables from the back of the gauges and anchor them in somewhere to hold the gauges in place.

I can pretty much guarentee ya that the autometers aren't gonna look as good in the dark too. twiztid has seen my gauge setup at night - send him a PM and ask him about it.

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Gotta love that Search function, see who's talkin' trash about me! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I've seen Jeff's (solo's) gauge setup and IT LOOKS AWESOME! day and night, very cool!

9. solowookie

hey twizid, where ya been lately? puttin in some serious hours on that project of yours?

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Yeah....Man, what a week. (work thing/forums/images/icons/mad.gif)

It's tuff tring to keep up with all these posts. Get lost on stuff and forget about replying to things.

11. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Ddragggon, does keeping and eye on the vac serve any serious purpose? Im curious, was thinking about the same thing in mine. I definitely want tranny temp due to having a 700r4 and possibly tranny pressure. I was thinking of fabbing a custom alum dash panel to hold all the extra guages though, then I could arange them how I liked

Aslo, thanks Solo for the input. I was curious about different brands. I like the look of the vdo's. I was also contemplating a digital setup, but would have to wait longer 'cause of the major added expense. Just a dream for the short term, but all part of the master plan, hehe.

12. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Did you reuse any of the existing wiring for the guages, or did you completely redo it all? They seem to mount pretty nicely in the bezzels, was it a PITA or not to bad?

Thanks
    Ken H.

13. solowookie

the mounted pretty easy in the bezels. I don't know about the autometers, but the VDO's cover any mistakes so I wasn't careful at on when I cut the bezels. I just grabbed my dremel, and went to town. if it didn't find I'd trim a little more off!

I used existing wiring for the gauges, and I cut the existing connectors off. if I had it to do again I would tap into the existing wires those crip on connectors, and then tape the existing one up good so that it could be reused if desired (i.e. sold the vehicle etc.)

14. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I have been contemplating this for some time, however I probably wont do it any time soon, but i was owndering if the guages angle slightly since the bezel sits at an angle in the dash. I have seen a few set ups where people have use Bezel angles to angle them back up, but I was wondering if that is nessiary.
    Ike

15. solowookie

if you are doing it like I did then it is pretty straight forward; no other parts needes juste trim the back of the bezels until the gauges fit in.

16. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

This may not help you but i put all new Auto Meter Phantom gauges in my 72. Im sure you could do something to yours.
    <font color=red> 1 FN HI K5 <font color=red>

17. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

Can you post the part number of the gauges??

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm starting to feel like idiot lights for a couple key things is the way to go. Still will have a gage but when on the trail sometimes things are happening and checking the gages get forgotten. I want one for Oil pressure and coolant temp. The ones I'm looking at look like a Shift light. Jegs and SUmmit both sell them. Not real expensive and VERY bright so they will catch your attention still on bright day's
    I honest think I did in an engine. had the truck way nosed over and Had a lot going on trying to keep from rolling. Think I was far enough nose down that the oil pump was sucking air.

19. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

We use the exact lights in our dragster that you are talking about for exactly the same reason. they make one for Oil press &amp; other covers/colors for whatever you need instant notification of. they are in several sizes, including a real small 1/2 in. size that we usually install in the dash directly in front of the driver..
    Get a baffeled moroso pan to solve your oil pump pickup starvation. They make one for road racing that is good, but probably make one for offroad also.

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like idiot lights too. At least for temp and oil press. I dont always watch my guages. There are many distractions off road. But its hard to ignore a red light.
    My Bonniville, which has all guages. Also has a a light that comes on and flashes that says "Check Guages" if there is a problem or any guage is reading low.