Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guages won't work, shorts in colum, and other electrical nightmares

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Oct 20, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Guages won\'t work, shorts in colum, and other electrical nightmares

Ok, yesterday, we thought it a good idea to try to find why my guages were bouncing. we checked my amature wiring of them, and they were approved by my crew's electrical genius.

We traced the problem to a short in the steering colum. it also shorts when i press the brakes and turn on the lights. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

We took out a bunch of fuses, and that worked until i pressed the brakes.

the shifter is positively charged, and was arcing off the gear selector to the front shackle, causeing the inital bounce.

It is a 1977 K5, C&K fuse blocks are the same, and i am lost. Any suggestions?

HEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Guages won\'t work, shorts in colum, and other electrical nightmares

I could sort it out if it was in my hands but that's a tough one to diagnose.
    Since your showing 12v where you should have ground, You might start by pulling the colum apart and seeing if any of the wires up through it are shorting out in the tilt or where the brackets holds the colum to the bottom of the dash. It would be easy to pinch a wire at the bracket. Alos check aroud the peddle brackets and see if a wire may be dragging on the shift or peddle linkages.
    The starter switch is actully down near the brake peddle and switched by a linkage down the colum from the key. It's on the top of the colum so check the wiring for that.

3. Grim-Reaper

Ohhh one other thing.....I seem to recall you had the motor out. (maybe I'm wrong on that) back of the passenger side head is a ground strap from the head to the fire wall. If that strap is off it will cause weird problems like that. It may be the colum is trying to pull ground through the shifter and you would read 12v Between frame and body if that were the case.

4. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Good luck dude... I went through a worl of electrical nightmares with my Blazer...One morning about a month ago, I got really fed up of the whole thing...one day wipers dont work...get that fixed, next day no brake lights....I went to pep boys, Bought all new guages, 10 diffrent colors of primary wire, a new fuse block, about a jillion types of switches and switch block...and re-wired the whole damn thing. It was much easier than I thought it would be, and not very expensive at all. Most of the switches that came on them are cheap, and the ones that are not, I simply changed out. Good luck, I hope you dont have to get to this point, but if you do, its not very complicated. I had less than 300.00 in it for gauges and all! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yes i did have the motor out. i have a ground strap that i have not installed yet...maybe that is my problem.

Anyone know what size bolt goes in an accessory bolt hole of a SBC? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Most of the bolts are 3/8x16 I believe.

7. Grim-Reaper

That is your problem. Use a 3/8x1/2 inch course thread. Bolt it to one of the accessory holes on the back side of the head.

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ground strap fixed it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

but now the brake lights are always on /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

It's alwasy something with you isn't it? Just never happy. Hay before you probably didn't have any brake lights! Now your complaing that they are on all the time! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif hahaha
    See your post on the lights LOL.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ya...thanks grim.

something must be at all times broken. so if it is the brakes lights are on, fine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

This may seem funny but did you check the switch and wire at the brake pedal to make sure it is set right?

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no...that would have made too much sense /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll check all of it when i get outta class tonight

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'll check all of it when i get outta class tonight

[/ QUOTE ] Is that class where you learned to use the word "uber" in nearly every post? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Uber us my word of the year.

last year it was "roger that" after anyone said anything that i agreed with.

i also usually end any sentence with "eh" or "yo"

as in, "Damn, that electrical fire hella sucked, yo."

or "That's the new girlfriend, eh?"

or to add them all "This post of mine is uber-padding, eh? IT TOTALLY IS,YO!"

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif