Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

guages?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Mar 11, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

I dont know if this is the place to ask this but ill give it a try

My friend is getting ready to build me a solid diamond treadplate aluminum dash.
    But im going to need new guages, speed, fuel, temp, tranny temp,oil pressure, voltage
    I was looking on a few sites for new guages (auto meeter, vdo,auto guage, etc.)
    But I dont really know what im looking for.

What type of guages do i need for my 76 blazer?

where is the best place to find them? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

speedo
    tach
    oil pressure
    oil temp
    water temp
    trans temp
    gas

mechanical if possible

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I replaced my dash with a flat piece of sheet metal. When I installed my after market gauges I used Autometer ultra lite. Somthing to keep in mind, the mechanical oil pressure gauge uses a piece of nylon tube to carry a stream of oil to the gauge. If this gets damaged it will start pumping oil into the vehicle. And yes, I have seen this happen.

The water temp, gas, and volts can hook right up to the stock wiring. You will have to replace the oil pressure sending unit, I had to take out the distributor to do this.

I dont run a speedo so I cant tell you how that works.

The tach is real easy on an HEI, there is a spade terminal on the cap you plug into.

6. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I wonder if they make a Diesel Tach...or if I can make a substitution for that Gauge...hmmm. I really like 'em though, I may end up all digital.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I wonder if they make a Diesel Tach...or if I can make a substitution for that Gauge...hmmm. I really like 'em though, I may end up all digital.

[/ QUOTE ] Contact Dakota Digital. I do belive they can make it if they don't already carry it.

8. 4x4dreamer

Actually, I did some searching and they do make 2 sending units for Diesels, one from the alternator, the other from the flywheel. They also have Boost and EGT gauges. I may be going Digital somewhere down the line. Very cool stuff. And they covered all the bases. I'm impressed.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Dakota Digital has been around for years. They do good work, and make high quality products. If I ever go digital, it'll be thier products. I really want to go digital, but I need to spend the money on other things first.

10. 4x4dreamer

that's EXACTLY where I'm at. I'm drooling over that setup, but it's expensive, and the amound of Spaghetti wiring to hook them all up would be worrisome for me. Once it was done though, it would be sweet. I like the tachs with the number of RPM's, plus the bar that fills up to redline...just good looking stuff. Someday....someday...(adds one more thing to the never ending list of stuff to buy)

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Damn, same boat here. But I've always liked doing wireing. It's pretty easy if you start from scratch. Just do one wire at a time.

12. 4x4dreamer

I'm getting a lot more confident in my abilities the more I work on my truck. I just wish I could come into a bunch of cash. My wife just gave me 300 to spend (long story, so lay off the whip crack jokes)...so I'm gonna do some damage with that.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    (long story, so lay off the whip crack jokes)

[/ QUOTE ] Save the $300.00 and do whatever you did and get mo money, mo money, mo money !!!! Then get what you want most. Must be nice to get paid for .......... .LOL. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 4x4dreamer

okay, here's the story. Every year at work we have a contest to see who can lose the largest percentage of weight over a given period of time. Usually like 6 weeks or so. Everyone puts in like 15 bucks, winner takes the majority of the post, 2nd place gets a small portion. So, Since Jan 14th, I lost 29 lbs and won the contest. Pot was 150 bucks, wife said she'd match it cuz I worked so hard. There's 300. Won't be another contest for another year or so...and I aint' waiting. Truck is stock and needs some stuff done, so I'm gonna get new hubs and fix/replace some window seals and rear window problems, then see what's left over and find something else to buy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Cough, lift kit, cough.

16. 4x4dreamer

how much is a good lift kit? Maybe we should take this to PM's. I'm not even sure how I want to lift my truck. Gimmie options.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

First thing is to decide if thats what you wanta do or not. Then figure how large of tires you'll be getting sooner or later, then figure how big of a lift will be needed. Also decide if you'll want to do some fender trimming or not. (Can go smaller lift if trim fenders. Lots of different options for the lift after you decide all that. Keep in mind there are suspension lifts and or body lifts also. PM me with more info on what you want to do, and I'll be happy to sudjest things. I'm no expert, but I've been following what alot of people on this site have been doing.

18. 4x4dreamer