Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Ok I think I need to replace the guages in my '78. The temp guage doesnt work, oil freaks out sometimes, and the speedo is finally takin a dump. I dont want to do Auto Meters, I already have thse in my '72. My question is where is a good place to get stock replacement guages? And about how much would they run, for all of em? Thanks.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would start at a wrecking yard...

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you have a faulty ground strap for your gauges you will experience problems like that. Might want to check into it before you spend $$$$ on new gauges. Just a thought.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I would hit the boneyards and if ya can't find any there go with some Auto Meters since they're probably cheaper than new OEM gauges...

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yeah, no faulty ground straps, one guage straight out took a crap. I have a set from the junkyard byt wanted new ones. The cant be more then my Auto Meters. Come on guys where else?

6. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

page 49 of the lmc catalog. they average between 39 and 59 bones each. if you do not have an lmc catalog, shoot me a pm and i will provide you with all the details...

LMC

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I can check in my "box-o-guages" and see if I saved the ones from my 78 if you are interested.

But if they are acting funny then replacing them might not fix the problem. Check your circuit board first to make sure you have good connections. Where the circuit card connects to the wiring harness is where you see bad connections.

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yeah LMC, I seem to have misplaced my copy. Only one guage is acting funny, one is gong bad and the other is dead. I didnt just want to replace 1 guage and have 1 guage and 4 faded ones so im gonna replace all of them. If the ones from your 78 are in good condition I might be intrested, thanks.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you actually checked the cluster like Goober suggested? With that many problems, it's much more likely that there are problems with the circuits feeding the gauges, not the gauges themselves.

The gauges themselves can and do fail, but to have problems with all three in one vehicle, at the same time, is pretty unlikely, compared to having bad senders, corroded connections, and messed up wiring, any of which would still exist with new gauges.

I've personally had really good luck with stock GM gauges, except the tachs I've had/have that according to my calculations are about 500RPM off.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer I guess. The tem guage pooped out so long ago I cant remember, oil, about 2 years ago, and the speedo started acting up on tuesday. The only guage that might need to be checked into more depth would be oil.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

Is the quality of the LMC guages good?

12. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

I bought a spedo a few months ago, it seem to be working great. The guage is a carbon copy of the original. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the quality of the LMC guages good?

[/ QUOTE ]

So far everything I've ordered from LMC has been top notch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!
    Bill