Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guess what caused this problem...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gokartergo, Feb 8, 2004.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I was bored tonight.. Since I went as far as I can go with this motor since we found some new problems.. Just woundering how many people now what caused this..??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

heavy foot by Dan??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. gokartergo

[ QUOTE ]
    heavy foot by Dan??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually that would be true.. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif But I never ran this motor.. I was getting it ready to put in my burb. When we ran into a few more problems then I thought..

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Looks like the lifters and cam got no oil!
    Bill

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Is that one intake valve caved in? I've never seen that. Saw lifters like that though

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Looks like the lifters got no oil!
    Amen
    and i might add looks like its time to hot tank the block to clean out all the oil passages
    My $.02
    R

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

My guess would be the lifter & cam wear caused a really lean fuel mix which raised the temp. in that cyl. enough that the valve spring tried to pull valve through the head.I'll bet the piston was burned badly too. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

with the valve the way it is it looks like it had way too much rpm and the timing advance and that cylinder detonated before the valve closed and slammed the valve in and then stuck closed and wore out the lifters. just my too cents.

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I had that happen to an engine after a rebuild. Turned out two of the lifters were a little tight and didn't like going up and down with the cam. I still drove for a little while. I thought my carb wasn't working right so I'd fight to keep it running at a stoplight. Turned out was just killing it more /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've seen a valve do that before. It was caused by a lean condition due to a vacuum leak at the intake manifold. It was in my grandparents' 89 C2500 with 150,000 miles on it. My Dad just cut the old valve out and put a used one in. Bandaid fix for a broken leg. We thought it'd only go 10,000 miles maximum but it kept going until around the 260,000 mile mark when the frame broke.

I've seen cams do that before too. It's really hard to screw up a cam break in no matter what anyone says. It only becomes an issue with wild cams or really stiff springs. It's usually a poor cam that causes it in my experience. I've seen lobes completely worn off. I have a Cadillac 4.1L cam somewhere that the lobes are polished right off. Usually those 4.1L cams broke...

To me, it looks like that motor has done been abused, mon. I'd be looking for other problems with that motor including the bores not being wore evenly.

11. gokartergo

[ QUOTE ]
    I had that happen to an engine after a rebuild. Turned out two of the lifters were a little tight and didn't like going up and down with the cam. I still drove for a little while. I thought my carb wasn't working right so I'd fight to keep it running at a stoplight. Turned out was just killing it more /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif