Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

guess what happened..warning very long

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by VisionxOrb, Nov 3, 2002.

1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif check this out. here how my summer was. I was stationed back at fort bragg in north carolina and my blazer was at home with my parents. been with out my baby for a long time. I asked my parents to drive it to me and eventually they agreed. upon leaving ( back in july ) my parents made it as far as blyth ( or however its spelled ) californa like 7 miles to the border on the 10 I believe. my engine blew. now my mom said that there were going up a long hill with the a/c on ( no big deal ) and started losing power and stoped but the temp wasnt extremly high ( stright up on a stock gauge about 215 220 I guess ) they get towed to I think a place called blyth towing. Now what the mechanic told my parents was I needed a whole new engine. he told them that 7 outta 8 pistons had there tops blown off ( some how I dont think so ) and was all chewed up on the inside. first he was saying to sized up cause of oil but that stoped him quick when he pulled the dipstick and was full of new oil. but my parents belived him and decieded to do want they want and do what he said instead of haveing my freind go down with a car tralier and getting it with hes F-350. my parents said ok do a 350 ( he said he can my more than enough power with a 350 ). he told them that he was getting a crate 350 with a RV cam and "upgraded pistons" for more power for 400 dollers more they said ok. so the engine was gonna be like $1500. now with labor and everthing it came to over 3000 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif but what ever. then when my parents came to get it he said he had to put on a new carbuerator cause my old one was shot ( now I had a 400 doller edelbrock q-jet that was maybe 4 years old it needed a rebuild not a new carb ) they said what ever and just wanted to get my truck. so my dad drives it back home and my mom calls my to say the tranny is going out and I told her to take it to a friend of mine ( I used to work in the automotive bussness after high school and before the army )and have him adjust the TV cable...tranny fixed. then 2 weeks they bring me my truck out to nc. I get it very displease with what happend and stated it. Immediately I feel even worse cause the stater is making horrible noise and sending sparks...goes out 2 days later. heres the best part...I open my hood and first see my carb /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif not a q-jet but edelbrock 1407 If i remeber..not bad but NOT CALIFORNIA LEGAL ON AN 84 then i look down AND THE SMOG PUMP IS MISSING. now my truck had the pump disconnected before and the some unnessasry vac lines but atleast I could convert to legal very easily. then also the headers are leaking...he reused my old gaskets /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. not to mention kept my old parts and mind you I had comp cam promagnum roller rockers ( almost 300 dollers a set ) on that thing along with some other nice parts and he kept all of it. now if any thing I bet I had a valve train faliure if anything and I say that because when I first got my motor like 3 years ago from allchevyengines.com the valve train tore apart and it did a sccound time ( this is where i started learning cause I was working at a shop and doing my self the secound time ) when I put it pack I noticed that the pushrods were rubbing on the heads so I put in longer rods with the roller rockers with guide plates ( not to mention a crane came ) after that it was good, the pushrods came close but looked like they just missed the head casting and its worked ever since.OHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I almost forgot...that great 350 GM crate motor isnt a GM crate motor but somthing from some rebuild shop around there... all in all Ive been done over pretty good and just want to vent and let you guys know about blyth.......ohhhhhh almost forgot another thing ( I know right another thing ) they mecanic told my mom that there was sand all though my engine causeing to break also ( what ever happened to the supposed blown piston tops ) and sand chewed up the carb so thats why it needed a new on...so she put in a claim into insurance saying it was vandalized some one put sand in it while it was sitting in my front yard all that time so ther insurance guy goes down there and the mecanic told him there was no sand so now the insurance company thinks we are lying.. Ohhhhhhhh and one more theing ( does it ever end ) the mecanic also told my parents it over head...and showed them a 1 core radiator and said thats what was in my truck so he replaced it with a "upgraded 3 core" BULLS#$! I know for a fact it did not have a 1 core no way.......im so pissed...I think thats everything ( well I got honrably dischared for being 10 pounds over my weight but im not mad about that ).thanx for listing to my venting /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. exodus

exodus Registered Member

ouch its amazing what auto repar shops do to try to make a buck and steal parts .

not saying anything bad about your folks but geez engine carb radiator why dident they replace your "faulty" lift and tires while there at it /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

i remember my mom getting an alternator and clutch fan put on her 89 caprice classis and the bill was 3800$ /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif im just glad you got off as good as you did could have been much worse

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If I was you, I would sue that shop for the price of replacing everything !!!!! Have you gone there to have a TALK with the guy yet ??? Please post the name of the shop and where it's located so everyone can avoid it. Call the better bussiness bureau !!!!!!!

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Man! I would be pissed off, too!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

This is a time you need to get ahold of the BBB. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what a prick! and THAT is why i will never take my truck to a shop EVER..i dont care never..but for maybe exhaust or something small..but any thing major like that nope..damn i would be pissed at my parents!!

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd "borrow" a grenade from your base and "accidentally" throw it through his shop window one night.......

I would also demand he return the smog equipment. If he didn't I would call the cops and charge him with theft. He stole from you, plain and simple. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Are cliff notes available for this post??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

yep....

Guy moves, leaves blazer at home.
    Parents try to bring it to him
    Parents have a problem on the way.
    Parents get ripped off by scumbag shop.
    Guy loses stuff he put into engine.
    Guy is pissed.

9. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

In California, removing smog equipment is called "tampering" and is illegal. I would call the BBB and everyone else I could get to listen and get this guy put out of business. I would then proceed to kick the s**t out of him and make him replace everything with or without a lawsuit. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

You have two options here:

1) Go legally. Find a good lawyer and sue his a$$ off. Make him paw for the engine, the stole stuff (at dealer's price) and a compensation for what he put your parents through.

2) Use all your military expertise. Maybe find a friend that will help you. Kidnap him, take him to the woods or some other lonely place and "explain" to him why you are so pissed. Then burn his place down. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ah yes, Blythe, Ca; the desert oasis of I-10. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Couple of years ago, I went down there to visit a buddy of mine with CDC, after getting the nickel tour, I commented on the quality of citizens, everyone appeared to be either law enforcement or families of the convicts (couple of prisons there) and he pretty much confirmed that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Gotcha.

Dude, that SUCKS! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

HA! What a croock! Kick his a$$ sea bass! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Oh Id love to blow his place up, unfornuatly the fbi has been on top of things lately and im sure it wouldnt be that hard to trace back to me. which sux cause I always did wanna do the recipe of making C-4 outta bleach. I think Im gonna do the BBB does anyone have the number? plus my brother in law is a layer so maybe he can help me to. the placec I think was called blythe towing and the mecanics name was richard.

15. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

Don't bother with the BBB, you want to talk to CARB (California Air Resources Board) and the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), in particular, the enforcement divisions. It is against both state and federal laws for him to even allow your vehicle to leave his shop without proper and legal emissions control devices, if he so much as touches it with a tool. The fines are in excess of $50,000 per incident. Nail his ass, and then sue him, if you can get a comviction on him for the emissions violations, tearing him a new one for the bill and the hassle will be much easier.