Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guess what I found at the junkyard today? 1 ton axles!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Apr 23, 2001.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

No less than 3 GM 14 bolt rears, at least 2 of them complete drum to drum. 8 lug. One had the rear cover off(SOMEBODY was interested in that one). It was on the back of a van. I looked at the carrier. It WAS NOT an open carrier, but I didn't recognize it. Factory Govloc? How difficult to swap in a 14 bolt in my 84 k5? Junkyard only wants $41 for the whole assembly, drum to drum, with a $5 core. I would consider it but am afraid that my current tires wouldn't fit 1 ton wheels(which are 16"?). Current wheels are 15" and I don't wanna end up having to buy all new tires just for an axle change.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by NewK5Guy on 04/23/01 03:44 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

OK, there are a million posts on this, so do a search.

That being said, make sure you check out the axle to make sure it would not suck hundreds of dollars to get running, especially the gears, bearings and drums.

The swap is a simple bolt-in, check out the tech section. The big deal is tires and wheels.

The van axles are a little wider, but this is often a good thing since the factory truck rear ends are narrower than the front.

You will need wheels, tires or both after doing this swap. Your wheels are 6-lug, so they'll have to go, and then you'll have to convert the front to 8-lug as well. A 15" steel wheel can fit on that axle and the 8-lug front parts, so you could keep your tires then, but the 15" 8-lug wheels are hard to find.

If the axle is 80-86 it will bolt onto your truck no problem. Do a search to see what earlier ones will fit. Otherwise, you will just need a converter U-joint at the end or your driveshaft, since the 3/4 and 1-ton axles use a bigger U-joint.

Lastly: identify that differential and find out if it's something you want and whether or not it works. If you get the wrong diff, you may not be able to get the aftermarket locker/LSD of your choice without swapping carriers and doing a ring and pinion setup.

<font color=green>"MAN THOUGHT HURT BUT SLIGHTLY DEAD" --Providence (R.I.) Journal</font color=green>

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

$41?????? Who cares if it works? Its probably worth that in scrap metal!!!!!!!!!! - well, maybe not, but still, thats an awesome price.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I just picked one up this weekend for $95. It has the open diff and 4:10's. Exactly what I needed. What you want to look for is the width of the spring perches. 3/4 tons are at 45in outside spring perch to outside spring perch. The 1 tons are at about 43. Your Blazer is 45in so make sure you measure that. Also I called Summit Racing and they carry the 15in 8 lug steel rim for about $57. Not as nice looking as my American Racing 589's but untill these NEW tires go bad they'll have to do.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I thought someone had posted before that their was a major difference between the ones on a van and a truck.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

The van 14 bolt will require the spring perches to be moved as they are narrower. The shock mounts will need rellocating possibly as well.