Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guess what I found when I took my clutch off!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblock44k5, Sep 7, 2003.

1. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

So I took My bellhousing, clutch, and flywheel out tonight so I can put brand new on. I get it all out and into my garage where I can see. What do I see? A flywheel for an internally balanced motor!!! I have a 454!!! So this gets me kinda pissed, then I take a look at the crankshaft. No pilot bearing whatsoever!!! So now I'm even more pissed, I wonder what else is half assed on my truck. Just thought I would come vent to all you guys. I'll bet you guys never found all this when you took your clutch apart.
    Ken /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

This is all after I buy the truck and fix his 3" autozone lift blocks at all 4 corners with only 3 u bolts on the front axle, I wonder why the steering had so much play. I freed up the rusted, locked together mechanical advance, wonder why the engine kept backfiring. I installed the other bolts into the flywheel guard, I guess he liked it swinging around underneath by one bolt. I also fixed one of the front hubs which was not engaging the axle at all, yet he said the 4-wheel works great, I wonder how he knew since its an open diff. etc. etc. etc.
    I hate fixing people's screw ups!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have caught friends putting Jeeps back together with no pilot bushing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That would totally suck to have the wrong flywheel, too!

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

are you absolutely sure that A) its a 454, B) the motor wasnt built internally balanced, and C) the counterweight didnt come off? Was the motor vibrating a lot before teardown? Having recently had a sb400 that lost a weight, its very noticeable. I would make SURE before you put a counterweighted flywheel on there or you might be kicking yourself if you have to tear it down again

good luck
    mike

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Grab the casting # fromthe block and post it up. Someone casn double check to see if its 454.

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Well, I might be out ofline here, but if you purchased a truck with lift bolcks all the way around and only had three u-bolts holding a section on and that backfired badly, and fixing the hub. All of these are things that can easily be seen or checked before purchase. Hell the lift blocks alone should have clued you in on what kind of half-assness was involved in the care of this truck. .[​IMG]

Sorry to here about your problems

6. bigblock44k5

yes obviously i saw the lift blocks and knew a jackass owned it before me, but I was hoping there werent problems as deep as this. For a $1000 I was willing to take a chance.

I ran the block numbers a few months ago, its a 70-72 454 if i remember correctly. The flywheel I took off was a GM flywheel and there no evidence of a weight ever. I havent driving for a while since its been off the road, but I do remember the motor used to shake at an idle, but seemed to smooth out when i gave it gas. Just how noticible should it be? The motor is stock so I doubt they made it internally balanced.
    I'll go outside now and recheck the casting numbers. Thanks for the input.
    Ken

7. bigblock44k5

I just went out and checked the casting numbers: 14015445
    Its not in my book but did a search and came up with 78'-87' 454 2-or4 bolt main.
    In back of the flywheel says Hi Perf, A9 and F9.
    What do I do?

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The block ID won't prove much... there could be a 396/427 crank in there, in which case a neutral balanced flywheel would be correct. Since there's several things aloof with the truck it'll be worth your time to check things out thoroughly. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. bigblock44k5

Well I put the flywheel on a little while ago and started it up for the hell of it to see if it would shake me to death, and it feels the same as it always did. I dont know what the hell is going on anymore. By the way, while I was underneath, I found the pilot bearing in the grass. One problem down, but I need to get this flywheel thing straightned out, please help.
    Ken /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

hey maybe u got lucky, maybe its an engine like what im buildin and its a 496 thats internal balanced..............never know lol.

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you get the casting number off of the flywheel? The number can be traced to see what it actually is.
    Also, what can you tell us by what the harmonic balancer looks like? Someone should be able to identify the balancer and tell you whether you have the internal or external assembly. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. bigblock44k5

Its a GM flywheel, #3973468 N
    I took a look at the balancer, it seems to be an internal balance as well, which could be wrong as well. I tried looking up the flywheel part number and had no luck.

LOL, I dont think its a 496. But I sure wouldn't mind!!

13. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

hmm ive never seen an externally balanced flywheel.. I was talking about flexplate the whole time. But do you have a digital camera? that would really help. you might have to drop the oil pan and get some numbers off the crankshaft to see what kind of motor you have.

if you have a camera, take a pic of the back of the harmonic balancer (there should be a big chunk missing to counterweight the engine-- cast into the balancer)

mike

14. bigblock44k5

Ive already checked the balancer, there is suppose to be a counter weight on there just like the flywheel but there isnt. I dont know what the deal is. I know its a 454 block, but I dont see any reason someone would put in a 396 or 427 crank.

15. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

It might be a 454 block, but you can put 427 internals in a 454 block. I had a 69 427 vette(a real tripower car) but somebody blew the original engine up. it had a 1970 GM replacement block, which was a 454 block. but all the 427 parts inside. they stopped making the 427 block and I guess they didn't care. I tried to find a "correct" block, 1,500 for a used, need reworking block!