Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guess what I got do do last week!!! With Pics Now

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by donimator, Dec 7, 2003.

1. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

Well, I got lucky and drew a cougar removal tag in Washington. I get to use hounds for hunt for Cougars. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif We were out all last week looking for cats. We found and few tracks and tried to run it down with the dogs, but they were too cold. But on Friday, we got about 8 in of snow in the mountains. At about 7:00 am we found two tracks running together and turned the dogs loose. HOLY SH!T. those dogs went absolutely nuts. They ran over the next mountain chasing those damn cats. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I have never seen anything like it. We could here them barking through the woods, then they were just gone. We tried to cut them off, but that ended up in a 5 mile walk through the woods just to end up right back were we let them loose. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Them damn dogs crossed back over the road where we dropped them off. We looked at their tracks going across the road and it seemed they were chasing DEER at this time. Now we were pissed. We figure the dogs treed the cats then got board and started chasing deer. Then, at about 2:00pm, we heard them barking up the hill. I started after them to get them back to the truck and do some dog beating. I had only my rifle and belt with some water and my knife. (note to self: get a flashlight on my belt). After walking up the hill about 1 mile, I found the dog tracks again. This time, they were on a Cougar!!!!!
    Dave, the dog’s owner, was still at the bottom of the mountain at least a mile away. Now it was almost 3:00. He told me over the two-way radio that if there is a cat, tie the dogs up and shoot the cougar. About 1/2 mile later, I found the dogs with a cougar in the tree! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif There was no way I was going under that tree to get the dogs away with that cat 15 ft above me. The dogs eventually came to me and I tied them up. That damn cat was watching me the entire time. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Then I got pissed at myself for forgetting the digital camera and camcorder in the truck. Then, I lifted my gun and shot. That thing came out of the tree like a friggin rocket. It flew right past me about 6 ft away and was hauling ass down the hill. I just turned the dogs loose and they went running. About 50 yards down the hill, the dogs were finishing off the cat. One had a death grip on the cat’s neck. I let him keep on that until the cat stopped breathing. By then it was getting dark. I started working my way down the hill. I had to tie the dogs up, drag the cat down the hill a ways, come back and untied the dogs, they would run right to the cat and start chewing on it again. I would catch up, tie the dogs up and do it all over again. I did that at least 15 times before Dave made it up the hill to me with his atv. By then it was pitch dark. Got back to the truck and was finally able to get pics of the thing.

I guess I didn't think I would be alone in the woods staring at a Cougar in a tree. I though Dave would be there next to me the entire time. He has been doing that stuff for years. But what a rush, I can't wait to do that again.

2. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

Re: Guess what I got do do last week!!!

are you going to mount it or did the dogs chew it up to badly? how long weight ect?

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Nice, Very Nice!!!!!!!! Just remember.... there is plenty of room for all of god's creatures.... right next to the mashed potatoes.

4. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

It was a very small cat. Almost a kitten, but there was not spots. It was 5ft 3in long and only weight about 60lbs. Rather small, but I am still happy about it. And the permit states that I have to shoot the first legal cougar treed. No kittens and not moms with kittens.

5. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a great hunt,
    Pics Please

6. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Whats the deal with the sticks stuck in the animals ?

8. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

You have to put a stick in the mouth of a cat or bear, so the fish and wildlife agent can remove some teeth. If you don't put a stick there, it is very hard to pry open when they are all stiff after a kill.

9. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

wow looks like a nice kill, and a good dtorey to go whith it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One of the most exciting animals to hunt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Nice work. Did you get that coyote this trip also?

12. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

the coyote was the one day I went elk hunting in November. I did not see any elk, but I saw the coyote.

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Nice, my uncle lives up near tacoma, he usualy goes for a ticket when he gets them he does not use them or hunts couger that year. He figures enough peple kill them illigally that by him and his friend not doing it it keeps the lottery in good shape.

last year his group got 4 tickets /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

didn't use one of them, I think its good, but still a waste of a ticket too /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

just help keep the balance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif