Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guess what I hear when I open up my 14 bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Sep 8, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Clunk clunk splash in the drain pan. (Yes, contrary to popular belief, we do attempt to use drain pans in dan's driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) So I look in the pan and on top of the hump in the middle sits what looks like it may be a piece of ring gear. HMMMMMMMM, the routine detroit re-install that we had planned might take a bit of extra time. I pull the top bolt off the cover and remove it, peer into the diff chunk and I see about 10 teeth removed from the ring gear and the entire carrier loose in the case. HMMMMMMM. That doesn't look good either /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif! The bolts had backed out of the bearing retainer caps that hold the carrier in. One of them was completely loose. So in other words, tighten those things down HARD!!! This is Sunday morning around 9am. So we go 40 miles across town to the Aurora U-Pull IT to see if we can buy a r&p gearset for $75. Keep in mind that I use the truck as a DD and have to have to back together that day! After searching the entire lot, there is not 1 14 bolt out there!!! Crap!!!! So we haul about 40 miles back across town the other direction to Victory Wrecking yard and find just what we need. The only problem is that they want $250 for the entire axle and wont sell pieces. MORE /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

So we pay $10 to just check the gears since the truck is in their fenced off "DO NOT ENTER" area. Sure enough, 4.10s! Then I go back inside to give him my sob story that I only have $200 on me and I can't afford anything else, and I really need this axle, ect ect. Well this time it actually worked, and I got it for an extra $200 and the guy threw in a free t-shirt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Since we were in the suburban, we couldn't take the whole axle though, so we pulled the shafts, carrier, cover, caps, and pinion ( <font color="red"> see for sale section! </font>) , and left the rest.

Got back to dan's house around 3:00 and proceeded to change my detroit into this new housing minus shims this time. Got the thing all buttoned up around 5:00 and then headed out wheeling to test out our trucks. Me, Krazie, and twitch. Had a good time out there. but just wanted to share my sob story of another unexpected bs hard day working on my truck.

Dammnit. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Now for the important question.... Does the Detroit Locker work right now? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, thats a good question Harry!

You know Bryan... the folks out here must get tired of reading about our blunders... dontcha think? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

All I have to say is, my truck trailered out there, and drove around for about 1 hour without too many signs of having problems. I did get the SES light on at one time, and did notice that the flippin 350 leaks like Bryan's SM465... but other than that... I suppose it will get me by @ Fulton this weekend! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

LETS GET IT AWN! I can't wait! Haven't been on the trails since April! YEEEEEEHHHHAAAAWWWWWWWWWW!

-Dan

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey man, I just tell them for the comedy aspect ya know?

I DID leave out the part about my fan wiring coming loose, and the truck overheating, the taillight fuse blowing, and the radio quitting working. I didn't figure on overloading them with laughter or anything /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif!!!

And yes Harry, the detroit locker works flawless. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    And yes Harry, the detroit locker works flawless.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And it sounds like you guys even did most of the work during daylight hours this time! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Bryan, why didn't you borrow a truck and haul off the whole 14 bolt? Would have been less work than installing the gears from one to the other.
    Just curious. Glad to hear it turned out OK.

Tell the truth - did you install those gears precisely or did you just throw them in there pretty close cause you were tired of working on it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-- Mike

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Didnt know anyone that had a truck. And I wanted to keep my pimp axle perches that rene made me. And We're just plain dangerous at swapping axles out in the driveway. The less of that, the better.

Did it by sound and feel. Everyone knows that's the BEST way!!! haha /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Tell the truth - did you install those gears precisely or did you just throw them in there pretty close cause you were tired of working on it

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a 14BFF... its tough! It can handle having a R&amp;P thats adjusted by ear! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Honestly, I'd guess its set VERY close to perfect. We'll see the next time we pull the cover I guess! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

-Dan