Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

guess what my 50 chevy truck has that the k series vehicles don't have?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by solowookie, Mar 7, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

guess what my 50 chevy truck has that the k series vehicles don\'t have?

greasable shackes! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif if chevy use to do this from the factory then why'd they ditch it? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: guess what my 50 chevy truck has that the k series vehicles don\'t have?

they also had 6volts, torque tube and a gas tank right behind the seat,LOL

atleast they kept the 6 lug and straight axle

3. solowookie

actully I kinda think that torque tube thing is kinda cool... I think its a pretty cool idea. look how much guys spend to go greasables now, and the were doing this 52 years ago.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

before poly, thats why they stopped probably all the bushings would rot out too quick I dunno /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. solowookie

these things come stock with rubber though

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

It was also back when people put effort into thier jobs/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif The roads were also rough enogh they had to be greasible just to go get the mail /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    The torque tube would be cool for rock crawling..you couldn't cut it up with your driveline enclosed,LOL

they also didn't have seat belts

7. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

i liked the foot starter on my 58

8. solowookie

I've never ridden in a stock one of these AD's, but I hear they aren't too smooth.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

smooth was for the body lines. they didn't now what indepentant suspension was on atruck..they just knew a truck would be used for a truck. if they say the trucks of today the designers of those classics would be in shock.

10. Re: guess what my 50 chevy truck has that the k series vehicles don\'t have?

hey, wook, you got pics of your 50? what kind of build up are you doing? resto or hot rod? both? i know we've discussed this before but i can't remember/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif thanks,
    jason

11. solowookie

if you look in my gallery you'll see some pic's of my AD there. I've got it torn down quite a bit from what is seen there, but you'll get the idea.

naw I'm hotrodding it all the way - no restore or restorod here. I love those vintage of trucks, but I've driven too many old ranch trucks to believe I could enjoy and old truck without moder suspension etc.

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

okay my turn for the question, whats AD? LOL

13. solowookie

advance design - specifiying 1947 - 1953 chevy trucks... 54 are considered AD's too cuz the grill is really the only real change.

14. Re: guess what my 50 chevy truck has that the k series vehicles don\'t have?

wow, thats quite a project! obviousely you are going frame up. i here the hot new ticket is a dodge dakota front suspension. gives a better ride for a truck then the camero or mustange front ends. still lots of work the put on IFS. wonder if a guy could get a chevy 2wd truck front end put on there? they do make front disc kits for those using the original suspension. how modern are you going to make it underneeth?

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

54's also had push button door handles and a one piece windshield. personaly those 54 and 55 first series are ugly /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

16. solowookie

I know a couple guys that build hotrods for a living, and none of them recommend the dakota suspensions. the c series suspensions are too wide, and they just don't look right. the mustange II suspensions actually don't use any mustange parts, and are still they best way to go. the two companies everybody seems to recommend are Heidts, or TCI (total cost involved - not the same company that does the tranny's).

17. solowookie

I like the 54's OK if they are done right. they other thing is they seem to be a bit more unique, but just for the record I'll stick with mine... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif LOL

yea there's a lot of work in this project, and I'm definitely going frame up. I gotta take the rear axles / springs off the frame, and then I've got it torn down to frame everywhere but the cab. the cab will be staying on until I get the front TCI crossmember, and get it measured out and welded in.

18. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the Advaned Design era is also sometimes refered to as the Art Deco era too....

-Rich

19. solowookie

actually the art deco era is just before the AD /forums/images/icons/wink.gif