Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guess who got his Chevelle?????

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by T-ROY, Feb 5, 2005.

1. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Dudes...I finally got my Chevelle on Thursday. 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 2 door hardtop. It is in many peices right now, but here in a few years, I plan a four year build, it'll be as cool as it gets. The body is in pretty good shape with solid floors and quarters. It is entirely gutted, frame is off the car as well as front clip and all interior. I really wanted to start with a bare bones car, and this is it. I'll post pics soon, I hope.

Plans will include...Pearl White paint with black stripes and a black vinyl top. Cragar SS mags with spinners and BFGoodrich tires. White interior with bucket seats, B&M floor shifter, tilt wheel, Vintage Air, AutoMeter Phantom series gauges, and Alpine AM/FM/CD. I probably will not go overboard on stereo stuff, just a nice sounding system. At this point, I'm up in the air between a 396/th400 combo or a injected roller 350/700r4. Rear gears will be 3.55's in a 12 bolt. I will use 4 wheel disc brakes and replace all lines. Before the end of this year, I want to have the frame done and on wheels. May sound like a minor step, but if that happens, I'll be happy.
    I'll keep y'all up to speed as things happen, but wish me luck...
    T-roy

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Uhhh I'm afraid we're gonna need pics Troy....:D

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Glad its all working out for you :thumb:

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

congrats man... sounds like a cool build...

i've always been partial to that year myself. :D i run the 396/400 combo w/12b + 4:10's..

[​IMG]

5. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

sounds like you've been planning this for a while good luck:thumb:

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i envy you man, i miss my 69 chevelle. same car you have, only the body was rough and the I-6 was even more so.

i will have another one some day. i will be building more on the handling concept. i want to be able to sling it around corners at high speed and lots of power. vette rear end and a BBC, Blown for a little more fun, full race interior and 2 seats only.
    Grant

7. john39671

john39671 1/2 ton status

I am going with a 71 402 and 700R4 in mine. I have always been a fan or the 700. You can have them built for just about the same price as a 400 and have the same strength and overdrive for the freeway.

8. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

You totally suck :D I am completely envious but yet not at the same time because now your muscle car is in the same place ours is. A 4 year build is about right to do one right on our budget, trust me trying to complete one in a 8 month period is patience trying. Congrats I know how much you talked about wanting one.

This thread is completely useless without pics!!!!! :rotfl:

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Love those cars..................

10. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

My goal is not too complex, nice looking cruiser that I can drive anywhere, anytime. I want it to be nice, but I also want to throw my family in it and drive to Montana. (My wife is from there) My body/paint guy came over and looked at it yesterday and really got my mind racing. The body is nice and solid, but he showed me a few flaws and issues. He got me thinking about Copper Pearl for a base color with White Pearl stripes, top, and interior. Maybe some copper piping and accents in the interior. I have seen a couple trucks come down the line at Freightliner that have had some amazing Copper colors and I'm really thinking about it. My concern is copper and chrome. Are they going to set each other off? More research I guess. Any pics or thoughts would be cool. Pics to come soon.
    T-roy

11. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Nice ride dude, ever think about running a dual carb tunnel ram? That would look BAD sticking out of the hood. It definately has an East Coast look to it. Do you still own the car? What did you do with the interior? Everybody does black, which I like, but I want to be different. Hard to balance...unique vs. over the top. I like the graphic. I'm thinking that the side stripe on mine might end up looking like the Yenko side stripe, the way it flares out toward the back and follows over the deck lid and mate with the deck lid SS stripes. I know that the SS stripes shouldn't follow down past the deck lid. I'm also thinking that I might get rid of the moldings between the tail lights, just to smooth the look out a little. i know that there will not be any badges or insignias. On the side, the park lights will jus be the little chrome retangular lights with no lettering. Thats how my first one was, and it looked great. No rocker panel molding.

12. ryoken

thank you sir... :D it was built about 12 yrs ago, and yup, sitting downstairs in the garage under cover... don't run it much these days... little snotty on the street. thinking of getting rid of it..

its got a single Holley 750 toploader on it with a modified duel carb Hilborn on it.. was trying to keep it somewhat sane.. the Hilborn is a perfect fit between the humps on the SS hood...

the interior is black with hints of the blue pearl here and there, console, column, hard dash... custom stainless Autometer dash, all electric is now under a smoked plexi door in console... lights, pumps, wipers, fans, etc.. V-Matic shifter...

i'm a bad one to talk to about white on cars. :ignore: personally, i dispise white interiors, exteriors too.. ever since i was a kid. but i can appreciate someone going for an interesting white setup.. grays, blacks and maybe a tan here or there are what i tend to like. tho, i ditched mine, i can dig a nice black vinyl top too..

the paint is all Glasurit base/clear with the graphics under the clear.. was going for a somewhat subtle ZZ Top thing.. i actually decided to add the graphics the day i painted the blue base.. all the colors are custom formulas. about 80% blue pearl in the blue. it turns purple under certain lighting, pretty freaky looking...

its got a few eyecatchers on it.. the polished stainless firewall gets quite a few oohs and ahhhs.... steelbraided lines, fuel cell, blah, blah...

on the back, i really like the center panel below the trunk in black on mine with the chrome trim and SS badge... tho i'm sure i've seen em smoothed out looking pretty cool... i'm not a big rocker moulding guy myself... i defintely suggest ditching the malibu eyebrow trim up front for the shorter SS ones, looks much better...

keep us updated.. :D

[​IMG]

13. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

14. ryoken

nada...

15. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

16. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Thanks Kenny...Some days are better than other when you're retarded!

17. ryoken

looks like a good start point.. :waytogo:

other than the typical rust around the window, looks nice and solid... floors look suprisingly good..

mine had solid floors, some rot in the lower rear window track and enormous, fiberglass and chicken wire wheel flares in back. :eek1:

i quartered it, wheelwells and the panel between the decklid and back window..

i actually have all kinds of small stupid 69 stuff floating around the garage.. trim, emblems, handles, wiper parts, etc.... if ya end up needing something goofy, shoot me a pm...

18. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Just talking to people that are "in the know" is scaring the hell out of me. I think I am finally realizing the size of this project. That just makes me more commited to getting in and doing it. When all is said and done, and I have it done, it will be so cool to be able to say that I made this happen. As far as the little parts, I have no idea what I'm going to need yet. Once I'm able to get the boxes of stuff sorted out, I'll let you know. Thanks for the thought. I think I have decided on the Copper with white. I just keep going back to it. Have you seen the new (?) Cragar Aluminum wheel that looks like a halibrand? I'm thinking that I may look into those instead of the Cragar SS. I do like the look of them. Too many decisions to be made...
    Katch Ya Later,
    T-roy

19. ryoken

these?

[​IMG]

those are actually kinda cool i think...

i'm a real oldschool guy on rims... i absolutely hate any kind of directional rim.. i'm a big fan of the traditional looks.. Welds, Centerline, maybe a Torquethrust or SS, Alum slots, etc..

by far my fave, and what i run are the Super Single 2's
    [​IMG]

20. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

I couldn't agree more! Old School is the way to go for a muscle car. I do like the super lites, but that gives just a bit too much of a "Race" look. I'm going to go with either the SS with spinners or these...

series630_160x160.gif