Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guidance on BDS Lift Kit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Jun 16, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I am really looking for a high quality smooth ride on a 4" lift. I would like front and rear springs. Although many lift kits get good reviews others can quickly come back to tell otherwise. The common best bang for the buck from what I understand is a BDS lift which seems to be quite pricy...anyone have a ball park figure for me so I can consider and maybe reconsider? Plans are for mudding, some climbing and alot of road use. I need to keep the fillings in my teeth around town and on the interstate...I'm looking for that cadillac ride.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have the BDS, just over $200 for the front springs. Maybe $230 or so. Turns out my truck is too light for the BDS rate. I talked to BDS and they suggested I remove the second leaf from the bottom to soften them up. They said it would not effect the height more than 1/2" and it would not void the warranty (lifetime!) but it would soften the springs up quite a bit (allowing for my lighter weight). I may even take the 3rd leaf out and sacrifice some lift just to get more movement.

The warranty and rep combined with soft springs was what sold me on BDS.

3. BowtieBlazer

From what I have found on their website my closest dealer would be an hour and a half away. Still 200 for front springs is about my ball park....If I remember right some people on here had bought the whole shee-bang... If your truck is too light and it has the CUCV 1 ton stuff looks like I will be in trouble as well with stock 1/2 ton stuff .....

Well now after over looking your album I can see how your truck might be a bit too light! By the way nice setup. I was curious to see all the trimming it took to fit 42's with 4" of lift...>DAMN!! hehe

4. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Whenever I ask about what suspension to get, everyone always tells me Skyjacker, but then there is always a little cult following telling me to get BDS. Do you know how the BDS supposedly compares to the Skyjacker? I'd like to find the flexiest front springs possible.

5. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

ive herd good stuff about the tuff country ez ride, maybe you should check that out

6. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

I've looked into the Tuff Country lifts and they're supposed to be really, really soft and flexy. Sadly I hear mixed reports about their quality though, anyone have any advice?

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Well now after over looking your album I can see how your truck might be a bit too light! By the way nice setup. I was curious to see all the trimming it took to fit 42's with 4" of lift...&gt;DAMN!! hehe

[/ QUOTE ]
    LOL, if you think the shots in my album are bad, it's gotten worse! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Check these pics!

Like I said before, I got the BDS because I've heard they were as soft and flexy as the TC EZs and other comparable springs AND they had the lifetime warranty. I've also heard they stand behind them no questions. &lt;shrug&gt; If it's 200 miles that means a long drive or shipping which is expensive. Best bet is to get a ride in other trucks with different lifts and see what you like...

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Well I have said this many times before, but I will say it again. I have 6'' TC EZ-rides on the front and beat the snot outta them, they have landed hard from over 8' of air and have yet to sag. Besides, they too have a lifetime warranty. The only sagging that they did was in the first month or so during the break in period, but they started out at about +8'' of height.

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Try Elias 4WD Center. Free shipping on BDS http://www.4wdcenter.org/ and good prices. I purchased my all spring lift without bushings. No need to by bushings when you are going to install ORD greasable, that is a must for a great ride.

10. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i paid 700 for front and rear BDS springs, u-bolts, shocks(4), and a steering arm From elias 4wd center it was about an hour from my house, hope this helps

11. BowtieBlazer

Thats what I was looking for, Thank You!

12. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

BDS is an insteresting suspension line. Because they do not meet the 4WPW standard for insurance and availability we do not carry them. My first concern the first lift I bought was ride. My first lift was a Superlift super ride suspension. Let me tell ya this 6" kit rode consderably better than by stock suspension and performed better. I was really surprised. Superlift puts these special pads in between the leaves to break up the amount of energy that is stored in the springs. This quiet the ride and stabilizes the spring. Skyjacker is another one with super ride. They put high quality bushings in and also use a tapered match spring design. this means each spring is tested to match the other and because of the taper the truck rides smoother. Either one of these lift makers will do a great job in a smooth ride. springs are about $124.00 ea typically sometimes less. One thing to take notice. Superides cannt handle a diesel engine weight or a massive big block they tend to sag out sooner and drop about an inch.