Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guitar Help Needed Here You Wankers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've been dinking around with my new ESP. It's fun and all playing jacked up, one string, distorted Black Sabbath and all, but I need to know how to tune in my amp and my guitar for proper tone and whatnot. Crunchy crunchy doesn't work for "Fade To Black"

Any websites that can give me the basics?

Anyone have advice?

ALSO

The tone and volume knobs aren't labeled on my EC50. They're crosshatched steel knobs, ubercool and tough, but definately not labeled, I have no idea which is which and I am having trouble figuring out which is what and what each does. I've got the pickup swith down pat. Dual humbuckers, two volume, one tone.

Anyway I'll try to get a decent sound to play "One" until you guys can get back to me

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You could summon the spirit of this guy.............
    [​IMG]

3. Resurrection_Joe

Jimi, spit out that vomit, take a bath, come see me

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.giffunny /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

6. Resurrection_Joe

I can tune the damn thing, I just need theory on how to adjust all the fancy knobs to certain styles, and I still don't know which knobs are which on the guitar

Fifth fret up, plunk plunk, elementary yorky

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Don't look at me... I don't even know how to play my guitar /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif It just sits in a corner in my room collecting dust... I'm just waiting for the day when I bring a girl home and she wants me to play her a song...... What will I do then? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. Resurrection_Joe

Play a bunch of power chords, then start on Nothing Else Matters, start crying, and claim you can't continue for sorrow

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

oh. That should be a personal preference, I'd think. You can find the volumes pretty quick, then adjust tones as desired.

Warmer sound will come from the pickup closer to the neck. Did you say you had a single coil, or just two humbuckers? I think the humbuckers will give you a thinner sound, single-coil's warmer/denser sound. You can also split the coil's of a humbucker to get a single coil if that's all you have. That's electronics that I haven't touched in at least ten years, though, so I can't help ya there...

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

'Cause I'm a million miles away ...and at the same time I'm right here in your picture frame /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Well if you've got 2 humbuckers, as a "general" rule of thumb with Metallica style music, allways use the bridge humbucker for anything with distortion. (except certain solos) As for the clean parts, take your pick of what pickup you would like to use, though most will tell you to use the neck pickup, because it'll sound "warmer" (more bass)

Also on your guitar turn your tone knobs up. And turn your volume all the way up for distortion, and whatever you like for clean, I usually back it off a little bit.

Now on your amp, old Metallica tone is pretty easy to get, they cranked the highs, scooped out the mids, and cranked the lows. Turn up the distortion and rock out! This is all pretty general stuff, tweek to your liking, every amp is different. Oh and if you can take a pic of the amp & guitar I can be real specific as to what does what./forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. Resurrection_Joe

I have the knobs figured out. A volume for each pickup and tone.