Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GULP - Got my emissions notice today!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Mar 18, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I just got my emissions notice today from the state of IL. Now let's see... 454 in a truck that had a 350... no emissions stuff to be found other than my catalytic convertors... /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

How bad does everyone think that the IM-240 emissions laws in IL will rake me over the coals? I was shakin' in my boots when the wife came out and said, look what we got today! DOE! Its been over a year since I bought the truck... guess I had it coming. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

register it in another state with someone you know makeing you the registered them the legal /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

reddog
    your too close to canada, j/k, translate that to english

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Or move.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Is the emiisions test a visual and sniffer or just the sniffer? My Jimmy doesn't even have a canister let alone cats or other emissions stuff on it. The previous owner removed it all...
    We have emissions yearly here and as long as it passes the sniffer part I'm good to go.

Rene

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You could always move to Kans-Ass!!! There are NO emissions laws here!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Thank god for that... I would never ever be able to drive my k5s if there were. Thats one of the possitives about Kansas.

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

If only we all had it so easy Wes!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, right, whatever! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

BTW, another good thing about Kans-Ass...lift laws...there aren't any!! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Just the headlight and taillight law...54" to the center of the headlight and 72" to the center of the taillight.

Now if you had a rig with lights taller than that, just add some driving lights and you are good to go!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Dan-

Where i used to work the guys back in the shop, would sell there cars to eachother every time the emissions stuff came around.. Like sell the car to your Wife for a dollar, then send the state a thing saying it way sold. and keep doing it

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Poor Soul! I dunno about Illinois, but here in the "eco-friendly" areas of AZ we get hosed. Mine will pass the sniffer, but since it doesn't have cats or AIR or any of that BS, no new tags. After another 13 days, I'm on foot/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

11. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

go TBI. get a stock TBI setup, all the stock stuff. then enjoy your new, well-behaved, smooth-running emissions-friendly legal bonafide 100% compliant big block bruiser.

greg

12. possum

possum Registered Member

I just got my notice but it was after I got the truck inspected... and it passed. Do I still need to call them or something?

13. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

here in NC if your car is like before1975 i think then u dont have to have any emissions, but after that date, u have to pass a sniffer.
    the wierd thing is.... my friends heep passed w/ nothign but straight pipes

14. Some states look at what equipment is on the vehicle on top on the sniffer. I have all my emissions stuff except for the Cats on mine, I just keep it registered and licensed in a non emissions state. Good luck, try a search for the state standards and that may give you a heads up of whether you'll pass or need to B.S. through it or park it !!

15. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Emissions in the state of IL? Ive never seen anything of an emission inspection on any of my vehicles. Whats up? Is it just up there in Chicago or what?

16. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

well I have went from a stright 6 to a 350 and mine will be due soon to.The 6 had no smog stuff at all and I am not sure what if any a 77 350 had on it.I guess ill find out.

17. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

How do people get their trucks classified as emissions exempt. I know older ones are, but how do trucks built in the 80's do it. If you instal an engine that is old enough does that put you in the clear. We dont have emisions testing here in MN anymore, but just curious.

18. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I can say it is up to the state you live in.here in las vegas its 20 years. just 60 to 90 miles away from here you dont need a smog at all.on a new aoto or truck its no smog for 2 years.

19. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

I too live in IL and will soon be reading the same notice that my truck must be tested for emmisions. I thought it was a state wide thing but I have friend that although he lives in IL doesn't have emmisions testing. Maybe it is the nearest testing facility is too far. I don't know. I heard a good tip for people who have both the sniffer and the lookover inspection. If you are required to have a Cat and currently you don't have one, instead of paying to get one put on, go to the junkyard and find a piece of junk cat and gut it completely. Put the body over your pipe with some clamps so it looks like you have one. If you pass great. I don't know how hard this would be to do but if it works. I bought my 91 jimmy from a dealer and it came with no cats so assuming that I will fail emmisions I will try to get the dealership to pay for a Cat to be put on.

20. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status