Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gun control thoughts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 27, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just started a "blog" because I keep thinking of things I'd like to study but never get around to or get time to.

Anyway, James Madison, AKA the father of the Constitution once said:
    "The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

If you ask me, he's clearly saying "When we wrote that into the constitution, we wanted it to be so Citizens could be armed without fearing their government, and to keep the government in check."

So I don't understand why people who talk about how pro-Constitution they are can be so anti-gun. There's a particular individual I know who comes across this way, and I'm just a little uneasy starting a discussion about it with him... The last time we talked abotu guns, I was very nervous... :rotfl: :rotfl:

2. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Thank you God for giving the Founders the wisdom to add in the Second Amendment! An unarmed populace is a VULNERABLE populace!

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

That's just the problem Ratch, people who are anti-gun are really not concerned with "individual" liberties; it's the "collective good" they are more concerned with.

The problem with collective goals has always been that while trying to work toward the greater good they overlook the problems that trickle down to the individual.

In addition, most of the people who see guns as the problem (instead of a sick and dying society devoid of personal responsibility) are dependent types that expect the Gov. to raise, feed and educate them and their offspring and to protect them from all harm. It scares the crap out of them to have an independent, self sufficient person among them that not only does not want or need the protection, but resents it as a theft of personal strength and independence.

They see a fox in the henhouse instead of sheepdog protecting the herd; to steal an analogy.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yes, but I wish they'd been a little clearer about it. :haha: :haha:

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Well the Founders left the Second Amendment purposely vague I think because they couldn't possibly forsee all the technological advances that would befall the country. And when it says 'arms' I don't just consider guns to be the only weapons. Take these for example:

[​IMG]

The long sword is a traditional japanese samurai katana, while the shorter weapon is a wakizashi, a short version. Being an anime fan is how I know about these. I would consider these 'arms' under the Second Amendment as well, and would consider these to be a damn good alternate form of home defense if guns aren't to your liking.

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

The argument I typically hear against the 2nd amendment surrounds the word "militia." They claim the National Guard is the militia mentioned, and we should follow suit of the British.

Me, I sleep with Fifi. :D

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha:

Yo'ure not the only one who thinks like that... I've heard of new ordinances being drawn up after a sword death...

I meant I wish they were more specific in meaning private individual's right, rather than the vague "Militia" word... To often that's argued to mean a "people-controlled" military force rather than an individual citizen.

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Then maybe we could offer up an amendment to change the Second Amendment to mean an individual person's rights.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Gun controle should mean using both hands, and nothing more !!!!!!!

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

SUBTITLE

The need for this country to keep an well armed governmental army, to preserve the freedom of the whole of the country, the right for individuals to bear arms shall not be infringed, so as to prevent said army from revolting and taking over

Da dum, there you go

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

If you read the writings of the founding fathers, they were very much for an armed citizenry for the purpose of protecting themselves from a tyrannical gov't.. gun ownership, as an individual right so to speak..

for many years, the courts and gov't considered the right to keep and bear arms to be an individual right, and that did not change until the 60's, with the advent of liberal theology, humanism, and communism disguised as protecting freedoms. in the 60's, 70's & 80's, you had the juducial, legislative, and executive branches all working to dismantle the constitution in order to further their leftist agendas.

The policy of the executive branch to view gun ownership as an individual right was again affirmed by atty. general john ashcroft in 2000 ( Leave it to the conservative christians to get us back on track ).

The thing to remember is that the judicial branch does not have the right to decide what the constitution says. They gave themselves that job in the case of marbury vs. madison. Neither do the executive or legislative branches. they've all appointed themselves to that job over the years, so that's where these kinds of fights come from.

No matter what chuck schumer says, the 2nd amendment isn't about duck hunting, the national guard, or how many rounds my rifle can crack off.. it's about who was meant to have the power, the government or the governed.

Tom

12. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I think the mayhem that followed hurricane Katrina is proof positive that individuals need the right to protect themselves. I think it is abhorrent that they tried to confiscate firearms from law abiding citizens while armed gangs of criminals roamed the streets. What the **** sense does that make? "Now that the police can't protect you, let's make you completely defenseless." I laugh in the face of those who say the populace should not be allowed to be armed to protect themselves because that's what the police are for.

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Good point Matt. In fact, courts have held that police aren't obligated to get in the way of someone trying to do you bodily harm. Of course, there are those would if the opportunity arose, but self defense is up to the individual.

Tom

14. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The sad part is that advocates for gun control have turned a blind eye to Britain. I'm not exactly sure how you could ignore such a stellar example...oh wait, it doesn't fit into their political agenda.

15. Inu-Hanyou1776

My dad has said it best, and my brother:

THE DAY GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, I WILL BECOME AN OUTLAW!

Me too.

16. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

What people forget is a very simple fact: The Constitution and the Bill of Rights are there to limit the power of GOVERNMENT, and not the power of the PEOPLE. If you read the Bill of Rights it is very clear that each one is there to limit government. Why would #2 be the only one there to limit the power of the people????? It's idiotic really. If people looked at the 2nd amendment the same way they looked at the 1st amendment then everyone would be REQUIRED to have a gun!

17. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

" This year will go down in history , for the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer , our police more efficent , and the world will follow our lead into the future " Adolph Hitler

We know how that worked out.

" If you take em away from the criminals first I'll gladly give you mine. " Charlie Daniels

Gun control is staying inside the ten ring.

18. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

:bow:

Couldn't agree more!

19. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I'm with ya on that one!!!!

20. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

I caught this thread while at work and after my experience this week I just wanted to rant and complain.

First I Live In NJ. I learned to safely handle and shoot a gun when I was like 10 or 12 with my father and boyscouts ect ect.

I don't own any fire arms currently, never had a need, and I don't really hunt. I am 30 years old and believe that people should definately have the right to own a gun. I guess I took that for granted guns were always around as a kid, and I remember seeing them in almost any store.

So this week I have a Halloween party to go to. I was looking for a childs cap gun, a BB gun, anything that looked real enough for the costume.

Every store I could think of and I could not find anything that was not orange plastic or resembled something from outer space.

Finally I find the one army navy store with in 80 miles. He has BB guns wich had orange paint at the tip and were clearly toys but they looked close enough for my needs.

$120 and he cant sell me a BB gun(not even a pellet gun) because there is a waiting period and I need a firearms permit.

WTF!!!

I had one when i was like 8. at 30 I need a licence to buy it and a waiting period.

I can't even find a cap gun anywhere. You remember those silly little toys we had as kids with a tiny dot of gun powder on paper. They never worked anyway and you ended up banging rocks against it to get a tinny little pop. Not a one to be found.

NJ's gun control laws suck!!!!

Just for fun I asked about a real one from people who know people in a bad area. $200 cash and they will hand me a loaded 9mm at least semi auto by the next morning.

of course I declined the offer, but seriously what is going on that any idiot with $200 can get an illegal handgun with no serial numbers overnight but I can't buy a f---ing kids toy with out a week of searching, a state licence and a waiting period of 3 days.

Actually I have no problem with the licence and waiting period of 3 days on a real weapon, but a BB gun.

Life here sucks.