Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gun forums?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mudhog, Feb 15, 2002.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

anyone know any good gun forums or any good websites where i can get some info on getting a good high power rifle. i archery hunt and dont know much about rifles i am looking at either a .270 300 or a 7mm i want to be able to reach out and touch mr. bear out to 800-1,000 yards if i want to. i dont plan on shooting that far but would like to know that i can if i want to lol i am a damn good shot with a good quality rifle just never got into the balistics and floating the barle and stuff like that and would like to start learning this rifle will only be used on bear so i do want a larger cal. i know the .270 isnt that large but i do know it will reach out that far
    anyway thanks for the help[​IMG]

wheeling pics

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I like my 30.06. It is a 1917 Enfield with the armory stamps on it.
    For the ultimate long range rifle ya ought to see my buddy Jim's. Good for 2500 yds. Single shot .50 cal BMG rounds.
    It has got to be the coolest rifle I have ever seen, especialy since he made every part except for the barrel.
    He is making a semi auto version too.
    But for big game I feel that the .06 is just right

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The 300 Weatherby Mag is a great long range rifle. And big enough for Mr Bear. The 270 and 7mm are a little too small for bear in my opinion.I'm thinking Brown bear. Might be ok for black. I'd still rather have a 300 mag though
    The 7mm Mag is a great Deer rifle if you really want to reach out and touch someone. A buddy of mine makes 600 yd plus shots with his all the time.

As for web sites: Blazer pics

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A .270 won't cut it for a bear at 800yds. For that matter neither would a 7mm Rem. or 300 win mag. With a 300 win you start to approach what you want though. If you want to stay with 30 cal. then look into a 300 Weatherby Mag, or a 300 Remington Ultra Mag. I am assuming you are talking about shooting a brown bear, not black. Another interesting round you might look into is the .30-378 Weatherby, but that round is punishing. So are 300 Wea. or the 300 Rem Ultra, but not like the .30-378. If you plan on hunting brown bear in close range you might look into the .340 Weatherby Mag, and the .338 Rem. Ultra mag. They are a mean round for a mean critter. If you ever decide to go hunting in Alaska, they usually won't let you into camp (a guide) with anything less then a .340 Weatherby. I personally wouldn't want to hunt a brown bear with less then a .340 Wea. Mag anyway. I have a 300 Wea. Mag, and it is a bad ass gun, but it just doesn't have the bullet weight necessary to stop something like a full grown brown. I have a .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun that I like to carry with me in bear country. I can handload 500+ grain bullets in it, and they will smack the crap out of anything. The only problem with the .45-70 is you don't have that much range. If you describe your hunting situations a little bit more I can help you some more. What range do you expect to shoot, what animal, etc.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. mudhog

i am in oregon and we only have black bear here. i am not set on only 30cal those are just the top 3 that got recomended to me. most of my shooting would be under 600 yards but there is one place that i have seen a big ass black bear in (between 400 and 500 pounds) that is up a very steep canyan i am at the botom and he is at the top in a berry patch and is about 800 to 1,000 yards out

wheeling pics

6. Hossbaby50

Ok, like I said before don't bother with a .270 at that range. For black bear 7mm Rem Mag, and 300 Win mag wouldn't be bad rounds for this animal, but the range is pushing it. I'll give you the pro's and con's to each:

7mm Remington Magnum:
    Pro: Very Flat shooting bullet, with good velocity and energy. The kick of the gun is not to bad also. My dad has made shots on deer uphill at 400+ yrds with a 7mm Rem before.
    Con: Bullet weight. 7mm bullets are only available up to 175gr. which is kinda light.

300 Winchester Magnum:
    Pro: Bullets available up to 220gr. and it has more energy then a 7mm Rem mag. There is one 250gr bullet available, but you have to handload to use it.
    Con: The bullet isn't as fast, and doesn't shoot as flat.

300 Weatherby Magnum:
    Pro: Has more energy and velocity then a 300 Win. Shoots flatter due to the higher velocity.
    Con: Ammo is expensive if you don't reload. Recoil is higher then the other too. Ammo runs about $50 a box (20 rounds) for factory Weatherby ammo.

The 3 rounds listed above would be my choices if I was in you situation. My Dad and I own all of these calibers, and I have shot them and hunted with them on many occations. My personal choice would either be 7mm Rem Mag because it shoots so flat, or 300 Wea. Mag because it shoots flatter then the 300 Win, and packs more punch. If you can give me a price range, and or prefered manufacturor of rifles you like I can recommend a gun for you if you'd like.

Harley

P.S. When I am not going to college I work at one of the largest &amp; best gun shops in Arizona. That way I get good deals on hunting stuff and make money to spend on my truck.

7. Hossbaby50

Also if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I love talking about guns almost as much as talking about trucks.

8. mudhog

thanks for the great info[​IMG] i dont have much money (infact i should be spending this on the blazer[​IMG]) but i want one large cal. long distance gun so i was going to look into getting one used or from the local gun and knife show[​IMG] most of my shots would be under 400 yards but want the ability to go out to say 1000 kinda like my blazer i dont rock crawl so i dont realy need a dana 60 but got one so i can if i want to lol i dont reload yet but might later on so what would be the best ammo to use? and what grain tip?
    thanks again for the info and advice[​IMG]

wheeling pics

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Maybe you should be looking here for the long distance part, <a target="_blank" href=http://www.barrettrifles.com>www.barrettrifles.com</a>

I've already made up my mind on a Remington 700 PSS (I think that's the model) in .308 for a rifle. Just gonna take some time to get it, plus very few places sell it due to it being a "sniper" rifle.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

10. mudhog

those are cool i would love to have one just cant afford one lol

wheeling pics

11. Hossbaby50

Here is a secret nobody seems to know, but me and my dad capitalized on. Go to WalMart. Look in there gun section, and they might still have the Weatherby Vanguard model made in 300 Weatherby Mag. My dad bought his for about $420. The action is real smooth, and it shoots real well. Put a good scope on it and your in business with a high power long range weapon for a good price. The down fall is ammo is so expensive. Then you can always brag that you have a Weatherby. Just don't tell them that its a Vangurad. Vanguards are actually made by Howa for Weatherby, but they have the Weatherby name on the side which is what matters. Howa's are good guns, and Vanguards still have to pass the Weatherby accuracy test anyway so its no big deal. The test is 1" group at 100yds. (3shots) If you buy used try and find a name brand, (Remington, Ruger, Winchester, etc.)
    As for bullet weights.

7mm Rem. Mag.: Federal Premium 140-160gr Nosler Partition (preferably "High Energy" but normals is ok too)

300 Win. Mag.: Fed. Premium 180gr Nosler Partition or Winchester Fail Safe 165-180gr.

300 Wea. Mag.: Anything you can find at 165-200gr. Preferably Nosler Partition or Sierra Gamekings.

If you know someone who hand/reloads that can load 300 Weatherby for you that is the route I would take. Just make sure you can trust the person loading for you.

P.S. If you go to Walmart, and they have a 7mm Weatherby Mag, leave it alone, you want the 300 Wea. mag. Also you can pick up a brand new Remington 700 ADL at Walmart for around $400 in 7mm Rem. Mag. They are not bad guns. I bought my Rem. 700 from Walmart, and that is my deer rifle, its in 30-06 though. My Rem. 700 shoots real well and I have never had a problem with this gun ever. Also if you look at one of these remember the action will smooth out with use. Mine is real smooth now.

12. Hossbaby50

The Remington you are speaking of is sweet. It is the police sniper rifle they make. I think that is the one you are talking about. My dad has two sniper rifles. One is a Savage 110FP. It is there sniper rifle. His is in 300 Win Mag. That gun shoots so sweet. The first time we shot it, it shot 5 shots under a quarter at 100yrds. His other rifle is a Russian Dragonov in 308. It has the really cool low light scope, not to mention it is semiauto and has a 10rd mag.

13. mudhog

i was just at walmart the other day and did see a 300 not sure what brand it was $389 with scope and had a black synthetic(sp?) stock and kind short is this the one you are talking about?

wheeling pics

14. Hossbaby50

Probably not. It was probably a Savage if it came with a scope. Savage and Remington are the only makers that I know of right now that sell rifles with scopes. Also the scopes that come on these rifles SUCK. Go back to Walmart, and see if they have the two I mentioned. Check those two out and see which one you like. Also go to a good gun shop and check out there stock and see what you like and don't like. Then once you figure out what fits you best and suits you the best buy that. Stick with the name brands. Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, Browning, etc. Don't buy something off the wall. Also DON'T buy a used Savage. New is ok, but used is BAD. Savage until recently didn't have the best quality standard, and there guns suffered. But now they are back into quality guns.

Both guns that I talked about at Walmart have black synthetic stocks, but do not come with scope that I am aware. Also make sure when you get a scope don't be cheap. A high recoil gun will destroy the optics of a cheap scope. Trust me I know. I've done it.

15. Hossbaby50

Also, if you have any other questions let me know. Either continue on with ths post, or PM me. I am glad to help out. I love guns and I love to talk about them, and help people get what they need, and want.

16. mudhog

thank you very much i know alot about archery but not much about rifle[​IMG] but i do know how to shot them and am a VERY good shot[​IMG]

wheeling pics

17. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I found a web site that will sell you very specific plans to make your own single shot .50 cal rifle. I almost bought them, but then they moved our manufacturing to AZ, including the guys that I know that worked in that area.

Besides that I don't much about guns, but I did get to lug around an M60 for 2 years.

Some times it sucks being the biggest guy out there.
    <font color=blue>I'll bet that, regardless of the reason, the people in the E.R. always giggle when they pull something out of someone's ass.

18. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Just hit it with your K5!

I have a Marlin 45-70. It's hard to beat the take down power, but as was already stated, not much range. We have a sniper rifle at work that's good for about 2000 meters that shoots a .50 caliber round.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

bears? gimme that .458 Win Mag!!

nevermind...belay that order....where is my .570 Nitro?!

=p

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

His other rifle is a Russian Dragonov in 308. [/url]
    Had an army buddy once that was a sniper who got to shoot one of those. Said it was a real nice rifle.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>