Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gun Gurus I need shotgun help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drey, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ok so its opening weekend for Pheasant here in Iowa, i worked saturday and went out with some friends today. Missed two really good opurtunitys(spelling) to get a bird or two, due to my gun jamming up.

Its a 12 guage Winchester Model 1300 Speedpump. The problem is when I shoot and pull back it will eject the shell, one will come up, but then another will get released from the magazine and jam it all up. I bought this gun about 13 months ago. Shot it a few times times throughout season last year, didnt hunt more then 3 times due to being busy with other stuff. I shot quite a bit of clay pigeons with it, but with that I only ever have one in the magazine, and one in the chamber at most. It really really got me hot today, I could of had two roosters garunteed :mad: It did this last year too but I just figured I was "short shucking" it. Well the second time it jammed on me today I didnt even have the exhausted shell out of the gun yet. It did it with 3 inch winchester shells(steel 5 shot) and 2 3/4 federal shells(lead 6 shot) today so that rules that out, and I figure since it did it when the shell wasnt all the way out of the gun it rules out short shucking it.

Any advice you guys can give me would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I have cleaned it almost every time after I have ran any shells through it. It got me so aggrevated today too, I saw birds this mornin when i had the screwed up gun, well I ran home at noon and got my Model 12 which I hate to shoot since it was my grandfathers and given to me as a gift, but i figured I need a gun thats gonna work. So once I had that out there...I didnt get a shot at another rooster :mad:

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

on my gun, ther are 2 little flat spring that hold the shells in the mag, you might want to try bending those in a little bit to get them to hold the shells a little better
    just a thought

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not familiar with 1300's, but find a good diagram and look for any mechanisms that keep shells in the magazine and make sure they're still working/intact. My dad had a similar problem but I believe it was with one of his model 31's.

...or you could go my route and shoot an 870 :D

4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Damn, Mikey, you beat me to it... I was going to just suggest an 870... =)

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Go find a real shotgun-A5 Browning.

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

no offense to the 870 but everyone and their cousin has one...im sure this is because they are a great gun. I just like to be the oddball. Im looking for a diagram right now. If I cant manage to find one there is a gun shop in the town where I work, AL the guys who owns it knows alot, so he might look at it for 5 seconds and fix something simple I dont have a clue about.

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Haha, wasn't meaning to insult your gun choice. I'm by no means a brand or model loyalist, I've just had great luck with my 870 and I beat the hell out of it.

I shoot a combination of Remington, Browning, Baikal, Glock, Springfield, Ruger, and Winchester arms (including a 1300 in our collection) and all of 'em are great guns. :waytogo:

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Oh i didnt take any offense to it just I always give my buddys a hard time about how they tell whose 870 is whose.