Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gun info

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ARAMP1, Aug 27, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I'm thinking about getting a Smith&Wesson SW99 45. Does anyone have one? I've got a buddy that has a Walther P99 (they're basically the same gun) in a 9 and a 40 and they're pretty sweet.

I'd be using it for home protection, a bit of target practice, and the occasional on person concealment. But, the biggest reason of all is that I'm a firm believer in the bill of rights, more specifically the second ammendment which gives us citizens the right to own a firearm. And, I think that if you don't exercise that right, it will eventually go away.

SW99.jpg

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

*ahem*
    XD40

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

After hundreds ( plural ) of rounds now through my Polymer framed S+W , I would say its a great choice . I have to believe when the need arises it will go bang when asked to . The company that owns Smith now is American and the warranty service is excellent as well .

I am a member here http://smith-wessonforum.com/ they have a great forum .

4. ARAMP1

Do they make a 45 variant?

5. ARAMP1

Thanks!!!!

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes they do, it just came out, and was voted the best gun of the year by some gun mag.
    i love mine(.40) it shoots better than i can, great gun, probally have close to 700 rounds through it and it still shoots like it was brand new

7. ARAMP1

Well then, that's one more I've got to check out before making the final purchase. Thanks for the info.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

saw the pic first and thought S+W???? man that looks like a walther then i saw the walther banner, did they buy them out or somthing

9. pauly383

Smith and Wesson is the Importer for Walther now . No buyout , just partnering . Like car manufacturers .

10. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

That gun badging is not due to importation arrangements, each company makes different parts of the gun. Even the advertising stated as much. I was looking serious at them when they first came out.

Just curious, with all the higher velocity and straighter shooting rounds out there these days, why do .45's continue to be so popular in the new gun market? Seems newer rounds like the .40SW (and possibly the 10mm) are pretty much superior, can someone explain?

No offense to .45 lovers.

11. pauly383

On that particular gun , yes . S+W and Walther both have simmilar guns with shared parts .

But S+W is still "THE" Walther distributor .

In 1999, Smith & Wesson and Walther announced a joint plan to distribute Walther branded firearms and accessories in the United States. Today, Walther continues its long tradition of technical expertise in the design and production of firearms that meet the highest standards of quality with unsurpassed fit, finish, reliability, and durability.

This comes from Walthers main page here : http://www.waltheramerica.com/

12. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

None taken.I guess there are enough of us "old farts" still around that have seen what a .45ACP can do. To me, the reason is pretty simple-the bigger the hole, the more damage is done. I would like to have an old Bren Ten to play with, though.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

speaking off straight ballistics, this just is not true. well to a point, a slow 50.cal round (black powder lets say)will do less damage than my .40 s&w

A faster bullet, while smaller,(again to a point the .17 travels extremely fast but will just go right through you) will create a shock wave in the body cavity that had the effect of liquefying the organs, and it increases the size of the wound track.

So the s&w .40 is a ballistically superior round, and will in fact cause more damage to a human(and has more knock down power believe it or not) than a .45.

this is a pretty good read, long but lotts of info
    http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/terminal.html

14. 3 on the tree

OK, I get it. You would rather get hit in the chest by a 12 gauge slug than a .40.:D I am familiar with the ballistics and performance parameters of the calibers in question. The question I have is very simple. WHY do our elite forces carry .45s instead of the issue 9mm? I am also curious behind the thinking of the Secret Service, some of whom chose to carry the .45 over the .40.:confused:

15. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The term is Hydrostatic Shock. I think that velocity does have it's merits, but more mass in the projectile and increased bullet diameter "larger wound channel" are definetely better attributes to have when shooting thin skinned critters at combat range. I personally don't see the need for "high velocity" anything unless your shooting out past 300 yds.

16. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Force is dictated by two things, mass AND velocity. Increasing/decreasing either will have similar effects, the main difference being (imo) the faster but smaller round will also fly straighter. *shrug* But Im certainly no expert, talking theoreticals here, which is why I asked what I did. Thanks for the answer btw 3onthetree.

I suspect special forces don't use 9mm because of their lack-luster knock down force (mass versus velocity). 9's have always had this stigma attached to them, and is exactly why many law enforcement agencies have switched over from 9's to 40's. I know I got a good deal on my 9 due to this (still has "Flagstaff PD" engraved on it). I suspect SF have not switched to this round (or similar) versus the .45 due to these rounds being so relatively new.

17. pauly383

To me it was the best gun I could afford , and practice often , and make the wife use it too ( shes better anyway ) . Practice with what you carry in it too .

All the arguments don't mean much if you can't place any cartridge middle of chest from down a hallway .

I would love to afford a 10mm , and other guns , hell I'm a guy I want them all . But my .40 will be fine since it hits where I aim it at the yardage I practice at .

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have a friend who is a Navy SEAL and he has always used Sig 9MM as they have no safety just a decocking lever. Says for close combat in urban settings is an excellent weapon. I personally dont have any guns cause I am wooped:doah: . But I have always wanted a S&W 40cal:D

Ira

19. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

all i was trying to bring to light is, yes, the .45 is a great cartridge, however it is a old cartridge, and there are better performing cartridges out there, i forgot to mention the .357 Sig, the ballistics on that are ever better than the .40s&w
    just saying there are more options out there
    and .40 is cheaper than .45, which allows for more practice time:D

20. 3 on the tree

Practice is the key to any weapon. If I could place a .22 between the eyes every shot at 20 yards, in any condition, that ios what I would have for a house gun. I do know that I can put 2 .45s in center mass at any range up to 20 yards, which is good enough for self defense.
    Before choosing a "house gun", fire as many makes and calibers as possible. Find the ONE that you are comfortable and competent with. A .22 is still better than a stick!!!!