Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gun question: Chinese SKS pricing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Aug 25, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

For the resident firearms experts...

I know of a guy with a 1997 Chinese SKS. He's looking to get rid of it for $300. I'm not really considering it, but I was wondering if that was a decent price. It looks like these guns are a dime a dozen, so I don't know if that's just that they're a popular gun or if they're just not worth much...

Any insight? Thanks all! :D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Back in the Omaha, Ne. area, I seen SKS's going for $100.00 all day long.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, good to know...

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I'm no expert, but if it's truly an SKS $300 is high for gun loving parts of the country. That being said if it is an older model or they are mistaken on it and it has the fully detachable magazine that is an OK price. I'd still love to find one of the old MAK90's that used to go for $99.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a russian one that I sold for $250. $300 seems a litle high. It is a fun gun to plink with.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, I wouldn't be plinking with it, I'd just be going to an indoor range during lunch hour on mondays or fridays when I work out east (that site is right near a range).

I only started noticing again cause I went shooting with my .22 earlier this week and am getting bored with the little tiny pinpricks it makes in my targets... I'm not going to buy anything soon... I need to save up for heating oil this winter...:rotfl:

BTW, it's beginning to appear that these rifles may be unregistered in the city and the guy selling them is not a permit holder (NYC gun laws suck). He's unclear on where they are, they may be at his house in PA or his mom's house on Staten Island.
    I know the city is retarded when it comes to guns, but that doesn't change the law, and I don't want to know what would happen if I thought about buying them from him and they were not legal... Maybe I can find a gun dealer in NYC that can broker it... Bah, what am I saying, I'm not interested... :doah:

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

They used to go out in Ca. for about $99 a pop as well. I bought a 1951 Russian Army issue SKS a while back for $125. I've never fired it. I bought it more for the historical value. It came with the bayonet and all the accessories including ammo pouches, cleaning kit, etc. all original army issue. I don't think you can get either out here very easy anymore. If you have a good store with a big magazine rack, like Barnes and Nobles bookstore, go get a Shotgun News. For just general goofing off, small game hunting, and shooting things that you want to damage, I like my Mini-14's. Still reasonably priced too.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Hey, I sure wish you had shot that '51, a guy here locally has one for sale for $275 and I was gonna go take a peek. Does it have the typical SKS "built in magazine" or can you just pop them in and out?

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

It is the stripper clip type feed. You can't convert them in Ca. anymore to the magazine style.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine had the stripper clip, bayonet and all. It was a fun gun (would have been great in a range, but we had a farm that was perfect for plinking). I would love to have another.

11. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Bought my Yugoslavian SKS for $140.00 at Dunham's, a local sporting goods store here. The Yugo was the only version with a grenade launcher on it, and subsequently, the only version that's illegal in California.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

RJ, you rock... If I hadn't spent a pile of money on my wife last night for her birfday, I'd be ordering one of these right now...

14. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

You can get the yogos here for $99 or $149 if you want one that is like new J&Gsales.com. I have seen the chinese for similar prices, I prefer my yugo ($149 like new) mine is the paratrooper model with the shorter barrel 19" if I remember correctly. I think its a much better shooting carbine, they have a machined trigger mechinismes instead of the stamped ones that the chinese have. $300 seems pretty high.

15. google

google 1/2 ton status

agree. SKS at the pawn shop down the road is $75

16. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Before you spend $300 on a SKS, you better make sure it is:

A. Russian
    B. Still has all Russian Markings
    C. Has Cosmoline packed in every nook and cranny proving that it's a good 30+ years old and likely unfired
    D. Has near perfect or perfect bluing on the bolt, bolt carrier and barrel.
    E. Has MATCHING grain patterns on the sock and hand guard.
    F. Has matching numbers on the stock, barrel, trigger, and bolt carrier.

If it is a Norinco, and comes with a 30 round Magazine and composite stock, it's worth about $200-250.00, on the street. Of course gun shops and shows want more like $400, but you shouldn't pay that much. There are a few Limited Edition SKS rifles floating around, I found one myself for $1700 that was a numbered 1 of 10 production made for some Vietnam U.S. Soldiers by the South Vietnamese manufacturing plant. It comes complete wth gold foil lined stock and barrel with some very intricate carving, and it easily one of the most beautiful weapons I've ever seen.