Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gun ?s

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 3 on the tree, Dec 8, 2006.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I found a Glock 21 (.45acp) for sale. The guy wants $700 for it. It comes with a black Safariland holster, 6 mags and a 4 mag belt pouch. Is this a fair price,or is he a little on the high side?

I've only shot one Glock, and that was years ago. I am wondering if it would be a better "house" gun than my 1911A1.

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

ehh i've personally never been fond of the way a glock felt in my hand, any of them, i like my taurus pt111 millenium pro...

stopping power is where its at, and what you're comfortable having to clear the house with

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

The only Glock I've used is a 23 (.40 S&W). I agree with Confedneck, you should use what you feel comfotable with for home defense. Be it a double-barel .410 or a .50 AE.

4. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

That price is rediculously high. I can buy brand new here for around $500. I'm not a fan of plastic. I think you should stick with your 1911.

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    New price I found was $575.00 to $640.00 for the gun and one mag.

I am also not a huge fan of a glock. I have seen a couple broken firing pins that did not give any indication of a problem until they tried to fire the gun again and just got a click. This happened twice in my area. So I won't mess with a glock. Just my personal biased opinion.

Provided the gun hasn't been fired much (Don't know how you would prove that) with the accessories it isn't too far out of wack but I prefer a new gun if I spend that kind of money.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

definitely not worth that $$. I personally do not like glocks just because of the feel, it seems like a 2X4 in my hand, but for that money you could get a brand ne Sig .45 which IMO is a much better made gun. Besides, that 1911 is about one of the finest guns you could have already.

7. 3 on the tree

are you talking about the 220? I got a bad taste in my mouth from them. Browning first marketed them as the BDA 45. Lots of broken firing pins and no warranty later, Browning gave up. I agree about the Glock not feeling right in the hand. I have yet to find a double stack mag pistol that fits my hand. The Glock was just a passing thought. This next summer, I will be looking for a .41 mag wheel gun, just for fun.:D

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I think the one I looked at was the 226 but not sure. IF you want to look at a double, look at those Para Ord's, they're double stack 1911's and pretty good quality.

Just got out of my first session of Defensive Pistol (CCW)class an hour and a half ago BTW, very interesting.

Also, if looking at polymers, check out the XD's, I think my next purchase is gonna be the 5" .45. 13 rounds of .45 goodness with grip safety and decent trigger.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you can shoot your 1911 well then it should be a fine "house gun". You will have to totally relearn to shoot to shoot a Glock. The grip angle is totally different so when you go to sit the gun it is way off. The only benefit of a Glock over a well maintained & well shot 1911 is possibly more mag capacity.

If someone is determined enough to keep coming at you after you send 7 in his direction then you pissed someone off real bad & having 6 more rounds to shoot probably won't help much. If you are that worried about round capacity then get good at mag changes with the 1911 & keep a spare mag by the bed with the gun. My dad keeps his 1911 loaded with extra 2 mags in his nightstand.

If you are having reliablility issues with the 1911 then take it to a competent gunsmith & have it tuned. Also the use of good magazines will help with reliability & stop magazine feed issues. Top choice of mags are Metal-Form followed by Wilson Combat. Also keep in mind you should never full load magazines for best reliability & you should switch magazine often to let the springs rest. So if you typically keep 3 mag loaded (1 in the gun 2 spares) then you need 6 magazines. 3 to keep loaded & 3 to keep unloaded. Then switch back & forth between them every few weeks.

Harley

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nothing wrong with plastic guns... some of you old timers remind me of the folks in the New York area that were worried about the strength of the "new" material used in the Brooklyn Bridge. Namely: steel.

I wouldn't own anything but a plastic gun for my combat auto. There is a reason that most militaries use them. Ours probably would to if we hadn't been bribing the Italians to secure land for an airbase...

j

11. 3 on the tree

I shot expert with the 1911A1, in the Marines and Army. If I put 7 rounds out at home defense range, they will ALL be in the chest. I have tuned and maintained mine just as I was taught in armorer's school. I do need to get some more mags, though.

I personally have no prejudices against composite pistols. I just know the 1911 series very well, having carried and maintained them for a number of years.

12. K588

K588 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Keep your 1911 it is one of the finest handguns ever made. If you are having mag problems the best setup is a Chip Mccormick 8 rnd Power mag with a Tripp Research Super 7 spring/follower. You will have no problem leaving these fully loaded. This set up is not cheap. I am currently running 10 mags with this setup and approaching 5000 rounds with no failures.

13. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I think you just said it best: 'You know the series very well'.
    To me, that means you can probably break it down in complete darkness; it's like an extention of your hand more than something you're holding; your grouping is probably outstanding...etc., etc.

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you want a house gun, get a cut down shotgun. The added benefit, in your case, is that you might justifiably nick your roommate.

As for the pistol, the 1911 is a great gun and if you are used to it, keep it around. If you buy the Glock, plan on shooting it. A lot. You have to get very used to any pistol that you will use late at night in the dark while waking up...

15. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I really do not like Glocks, and that is way too much for a used one. If you want something like it only made right, the Springfield XD is IMO an awesome pistol. Like you said though, who needs more than 7 rounds for home defense?

John

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Another vote fo the 1911-A1. That is too much for a used Glock. Save your money. Just get a few more mags for 1911 and an xtnded mag relase for quicker changes if you want. Cant add much to what hoss said.
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com has verything you need at reasonble prices.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never know when you might need more than 7 bullets. Home invasions are WAY up these days... 4 dudes trying to bum rush you could definitely take up more than 7 rounds. Hell, cops can't shoot at someone these days without firing 37 rounds at each individual (hitting several bystanders in the procress, w00t!). My H&K has 15, and my 12ga is near by with another 8. That'll slow their hippy ass down. ;) If that doesn't work, my CAR15 with 30 round mag is close too. :grin: :thumb:

AFA that Glock goes, yeah, $700 is way to much. What would you need with 10 mags anyway? I guess it might be a decent deal if you could sell 6-7 of them for any amount of $$$ to knock the total price down some. In my area, Glocks tend to be $500-600 new.

j

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have two mags with 10 rounds each of Gold Dot , and if I run those out , I have two 14 round mags with leftover practice WWB 165 or 185 grain , whatever I practiced with last . I never leave the range empty .

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 5 loaded 10rnd mags, but I will have run too far away to hit anyone with a .45 by the 3rd. :D

20. 3 on the tree

I keep 2 mags loaded for the .45. One is full of Silvertips, and the other is +P+ 180 grain FBI loads. If further persuasion is needed, the old A5 is chock full of 000 buck, just waiting to say Hello. Thats assuming my little white friend lets anyone past. Oh yeah, almost forgot the wife's M-10 S&W, loaded with +P 130 HPs. I would only use the 1917 in the house as a last resort-I hate patching holes in the walls.