Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gun Safe advice, input

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Nov 15, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Wife says she's buying me a gun safe for Christmas, I've never owned one before so I don't know alot about them and was hoping for some input on it.

I know I will be going with at least a 12/24 size safe, with at least some fire protection. My main questions are:

Did you have any regrets with the capacity of yours?

Digital or manual combo?

Brand recommendations?

Anything else you can think of too.

This is the one I'm looking at right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://winchestersafes.com/

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Check out the National Security brand of safes. They are very expensive but are one of the best brands of gunsafes you can buy. We have one at my house and my grandmother has one as well. They are insanely heavy but I would consider that an indicator of the quality. I would go with the manual combination lock, something about a digital one just doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Check them out here
    http://www.wcliberty.com/gun_safes.lasso

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ours is made by Liberty Safes. You need to look at the specifics on each one, not just the style lock, but ours is a manual. I'm with afroman, digital doesn't rub me the right way.

Check out what kind of heat protection it offers. You'll want one with heat protection if you value your guns at all. I *THINK* ours can withstand 1500* for 30 minutes before any kind of internal damage takes place. It may be able to withstand more than that, but it's been 9 years since we got it, so it's kinda hard to remember. Ours is stupid heavy as well. Be sure that the subfloor in your house can withstand that much weight over such a small area. The closer you can put it to a load bearing wall, the better. If nothing else, brace the subfloor, and while you're at it, run a chain or something through the floor or some setup to bolt the safe down.

*EDIT* Ok, I clicked the link that afroman provided and they still make the safe we have. It's the Lincoln model, withstanding 1200* for 75 minutes, not 1500* for 30. Either way, it's a good safe and I would reccomend it to anyone.

Side note: If anything in your house is at 1200 degrees for more than 1 minute, the safe should be the least of your worries. :haha: But it will be nice to know that if your house was burned down, you could still shoot your way to victory.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the replies guys, I checked out the National Security and Liberty (same company it looks like), looks like triple the cost, so I'm not too sure about that.

As far as fire, the Winchester I'm looking at has 32 Min. @ 1200 deg., I did notice that the comparable Ntl. and Liberty safes were about double the time at a slightly higher temp. though.

As far as placement, don't have to worry about subfloor, it will be on the slab and probably bolted to that if possible.

I see what both of you are saying on the digital and I agree with that point, but I also see the digital as being better for immediate access in an emergency which is why I'm torn on the digital/manual thing.

Just saw your edit; there are some family heirlooms going in there (guns and jewelry) so the fire thing is a pretty big one, maybe some of our resident firemen here could tell us how long a house should burn, seems like even 75 min is not long enough for a full house fire.

5. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

75 min is long for a full house fire. Where you put you safe has alot to do with how long it will be in that kind of heat. What's above it next to etc. Most fires are put out or under control in less than 75min. Fire does tend to move with the fuel so if it starts in the garage in 75 min its not still going to be in the garage but the house may still be on fire. Something else to think of is it waterproof I'm sure most are but never really looked into so don't know.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Good point, I just checked and don't see any refence to waterproofing on either site.

Oh, and it will be going downstairs, which is sort of a basement (bi-level house), on an outside wall.