Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gun shy hunting dog, help, need trainer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XHitman396, Nov 13, 2003.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ok, like the title says, i gotta 1 year 10 month old chesapeake bay retriever, and ive busted my ass and his since he was about 1.5 months to get him trained, and have been very pleased, except hes gun shy. he wasnt at first, but one day a buddy and me were shootin and he used the tool box in the back of the truck to steady his arm, and Major was in the back, and when he fired that 30/30, the sound ricocheted off the window so major got a double ear full, ever since then, gun-shy. ive tried many techniques at curing him of this, with little- no luck, so i think i need to hire a trainer, im in tulsa, ok. anyone know anyone or any suggestions, no success in the newspaper or phone book, i really want this dog trained, and as quick as possible, and any help is forever thanked....

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i'll ask my golden retriever's trainer.. he's no hunting dog, but he might know. i'll get back to ya

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

"I would suggest to your friend contact all the veterinarians, and pet stores in the area asking if they know of any dog trainers. Tell him to form a list of trainers and call them all. Make sure the trainer is experienced training Chessies, and has an impressive list of accomplishments in his or her portfolio. Hopefully there is something in the area. It is very important for him to do formal obedience training with the dog to help instill a higher level of trust and stability. This is not a fix it in one day process. If I were to offer a quick suggestion, it would be to for him to go back to the point where he is can be successful, meaning use a cap gun without caps. Have success firing off the gun and let the dog learn that there is nothing to be scared of. Once the dog is not reacting fearfully, then use caps in the gun. Same as before, practice getting success at that level. Then move onto the real gun. He needs to develop a habit in the dogs behavior of not shying away from the gun"

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Contact Mark at Coon River Kennels /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif He's a hell of a guy and will be able to help you out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

All I can say is shooting a deer rifle close to a dog is not a good thing to do. It really hurts its ears. No wonder it turned gun shy. its best to leave a hunting dog home when out target shooting. Its really no fun for a dog.
    You can try using a cap gun as suggested in above post.
    Use it when playing with the dog and when fetching. your chessie should love to fetch Try to get the dog to associate hearing and seeing a gun to having a good time. Throw a dummy and shoot the gun after the dog heads out to fetch it. gradually work up to louder guns. (No rifles or loud hand guns!!) Leave guns around (unloaded of course) where the dog can see them and smell them so they become a part of its normal life. Shoot off a cap gun at feeding time. This helps associate guns with food. Feed the dog game also. I always fed my hunting dogs game they fetched. And made sure they new it. It makes them work harder in the feild.
    I have had a gun shy lab. She didn't like the noise guns made but she was stil a great hunter. She hated to be around people who were just shooting and would go hide.. But when hunting she would fetch birds all day long. It sounds like your chessie needs a lot of work and love. Its hunting season spend as much time with it as you can in the feild.
    It helps if you know someone who has a lab or chessie who you can work the dog with. Seeing another dog having a good time around guns will help it to loose some of the fear.
    Its the memory of the pain the gun caused to its ears that your dog is afrade of. Not the gun. When your dog reacts favoribly to guns be sure to give it lots of praise and a treat. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Gradually that memory will fade. It will take time.

6. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the help guys. Stomper, ironically ive already visited his website and will be attempting his approach to gun-shy 'medicine' as a last attempt. well thanks again and ill let you know if it works...