Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gun Storage?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BlazerGuy, Apr 23, 2004.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Friend of mine is storing my guns while I'm in the USMC. He has to keep some of them in the garage. I'm worried about the humidity. Will it be ok if each gun is in a sock with one of those silica packets in it? Any other ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

hope he has it in somethhing safer than a garage!

But if he must, An extra heavy lube of Breakfree CLP a gun sock, a bunch of silica packets, and then put all of it into a dark 3mil garbage bag.

Bag will keep it sealed and harder to visually "see"
    Silica will keep excess moisture/any trapped moisture at bay. Sock will protect it from nocks and damage.

P.S.: Stay safe out there. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Can't say from experience, but I've read for long term storage, you should oil the poop out of 'em. I forget now, but I think I read the same thing from the M16-A2 manual when stationed in tropical climates.
    I'd stick mine in a safe with some ventilation, or some of those hard shell cases wih some silica packets.

I'm a fairly new gun owner (had to plow forward during the 30 seconds the wife said "ok"), though, so I may be giving you the worst advice....

BTW, I'm assuming these are rifles?

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

They'll be in a cabinet and the real valuable ones will be inside the house. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I will clean them real good and leave oil on them but here's another dilemmia(sp?):

Should I store them horizontally or vertically? I'm thinking horzontally would be better since all the oil will go to the bottom of the barrel when they're vertical... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    P.S.: Stay safe out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Whil this may be a bit extreme. Packing them in grease will ensure no rust damage is done. Thats what I would be doing in your situation. A little messy though /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The oil doesn't need to be dripping off them. It really doesn't take all that much lube to protect them. Especially if they'll be stored inside, in a semi-controlled climate. Besides, once you've graduated from boot camp you'll probably come home on your boot leave and re-clean and lube your guns anyway. Ask me how I know this... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

My personal recommendation: Thoroughly clean all parts, punch the bores with an oiled patch, wipe down the barrel and all parts with an oiled cloth, re-assemble and work the action a few times to ensure lube gets distributed, and put the gun in a silicone-impregnated gun sock. My Springfield '03A3 has been stored like that for about 5 years now, and I have no corrosion at all on it.

BTW, good luck with Recruit Training. Remember that it's only 25% physical, the rest is all mental. A positive attitude will get you through the shitty times!

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Horizontal is better if you can keep from stacking them, and oil 'em up real good. Definitely put them in an air tight bag or container and add some sort of dessicant, silica will work but you need a good bit, not some of those little sugar packet sized ones, look online or at Academy, they have a little brass tube thing that works good.

I left about 4 guns in a cabinet at my mothers when I went to college and stored them this way, and I don't think I took them until a couple of years later. Looked beautiful, still oily.

Most importantly, put them in a place where no random jackass will shove them around to get to something.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW, good luck with Recruit Training. Remember that it's only 25% physical, the rest is all mental. A positive attitude will get you through the shitty times!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I go to San Diego on August 23... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm thinking about building my own wooden chest(or something) to keep them in. I was at my friends house last night and the "gun cabinet" can only hold 10 guns. I was like "WTF?" I have 25+ firearms that need storing so I think I need build something for them.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Just realized I should've posted this in the "outdoor" forum...oh well, shithappens! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Look into buying a bore store sleeve for each gun. It's a sleeve impregnated with silicone. It'll keep your guns rust-free for a long time. They're less than ten bucks each. It'll run you less than $250 to outfit all your guns, small price for peace of mind. I'd freak out, and I have, if I ever found any rust on any of my guns.

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I should be able to pick some of those up at the gun show. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif