Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gun stuff for Christmas!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Jan 1, 2007.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

My AK. A WASR-10 I picked up on the J&G Sales website. Had it shipped to a pawn shop a block away, and paid them a $15 fee for the transfer. Was a piece of cake! Got the gun for $330 + shipping.

2006_1231Nekkid0004.JPG

2006_1231Nekkid0005.JPG

My step-dad bought me a folding shotgun stock. It's skinny, and going to hurt.

2006_1231Nekkid0053.JPG

2006_1231Nekkid0054.JPG

2006_1231Nekkid0004.JPG

2006_1231Nekkid0005.JPG

2006_1231Nekkid0053.JPG

2006_1231Nekkid0054.JPG

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

That AK is sexy. Use a little bit of a darker stain on the wood and some laquer and it'll be awesome :)

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm thinking about going synthetic, Galil style stuff. Maybe an underfolder.

4. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Maybe like so:
    [​IMG]

But I don't like the idea of the stock interfering with pulling the handle.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

That's what I'd like to do with mine but holy hell, those stocks are expensive!

ANd you're right about the shotty, it's gonna beat you to hell, I've got a Mossberg cruiser that is brutal to shoot. (at least you have the folding stock though)

EDIT: forgot to add: no matter how well you think you cleaned it be prepared for some cosmoline to start oozing out all over when you dump a few mags quick like.

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Is there any area I should pay extra attention to when I clean it next time? I noticed crud builds up in corners pretty easily, and managed to brush about 75% of it out.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

If you haven't fired it yet then dissasemble it and spray it down with carb cleaner. I've heard of a lot of other methods but that worked good on mine with relatively little effort.

I just made sure I didn't get it on the wood by using a towel, but you could remove all the wood if you like.

Even the front sight oozed the crap after it got smoking hot so so far my theory is pre-clean the cosmo, shot it, clean some more while hot, repeat.

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I put a mag through it, then did a basic Hoppes cleaning. It smoked like hell when I first shot it, I didn't realize the cosmo would cook. I was kind of concerned at first, considering how bad it tasted. :doah:

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

So you fired it without even wiping off the grease? (I'm sure you didn't hurt it any, it's just mine was gunked up to hell and I was scared to fire it before cleaning)

You shoud definitely field strip it and spray the sucker down, you'll be amazed at the amount of brown crap that comes off/out of it.

And yeah, even after cleaning that crap smells rank! Mine smoked good after 60 fast rounds.

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I wiped excess off, but wasn't sure how much I wanted to remove. I've never worked with a semi-auto gun before. :dunno: I think I'll pick up a can of carb cleaner and try to find some time to do a more detailed cleaning.

How about critical points that need lube? I noticed there's a ton of it on the spring, is that really necessary?

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

The only thing that needs to be on a spring is a light coat of oil, just like any other part of a firearm. Anything thick (like cosmo) can accumulate dirt and grit.

12. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

I used to have that folding stock on a Mossberg 500, and the company sold a rubber pad for the stock which helped alot. if i remember the company was ATS and it was like $10

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'll definitely be picking something up to put on the end.

14. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Oh, and I have another cleaning question. :D

I have a chrome plated piston, and there's a bunch of crap on it. How thoroughly do I need to scrape it off?

15. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I have that kind of stock on my SKS and I don't like it. They get flimsey while open. I'm going to change to something solid.

16. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

So for the spring, take it out and just spray the whole assembly down with an assload of carb cleaner, make sure and spray out your magwell really well too, CAI (the importer of the WASR) cuts the magwell bigger as they were originally single stack guns so there is more than likely a bunch of metal shavings in there.

When you take the top cover of the reciever off and flip it over there will probably be a bunch of cosmo in there too. I took the cover off, bolt, rod and spring out and then covered front and rear furniture with towels and sprayed the hell out of the open reciever.

Then I took the removed parts and laid them on the groud and sprayed the hell out of them too. Ran a patch down the barrel a couple times (after spraying a steady stream of carb cleaner down it too).

After all this I put some good lube (Tetra gun grease) on the rails the bolt and charging handle ride on) and some light Rem Oil on the spring and pther moving parts and then sprayed the outside of the assembled gun in Rem Dri-Lube.

Hope that helps!

17. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Hell yeah that helps! Thanks for the info on the stock, fabjunkie.

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty much any cleaning brush you can get (nylon, brass, or copper) is softer than the piston.

I wouldn't worry about reliability of the AK due to some minor carbon on the piston, just make sure everything has been cleaned well, ESPECIALLY if you've been shooting the corrosive cheap ammunition.