Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gunsmiths

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by 1979Jimmy, May 23, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just got my grandfathers guns and they mena a great deal to me. However due to poor care (wont rant about that) one has rusted a bit and both are in need of a little looksie. Anyone know of any reputable gunsmiths in the bay area.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I recomend you learn how to doit yourself! I too have family hamydowns that mean alot and I would not want someone else to be responsable for them. even for a short time. Plus the more you know about them the safer you will be when handeling/shooting them.
    Just my .02c
    Get a dremal with a buffing wheel and lightly clean off the rust. Buy a book, anything but handing them over to a stranger. I guess I have bad luck and my luck the damn shop would get robbed or something/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif!!
    Good Luck

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

First thing spray the metal down with wd40 to stop the rust where it is. A lot of the surface stuff will come off with that.

4. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Man you guys really do help me out so much. Thanks all.

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you want to get the guns checked out for saftey ..There is a great Gun shop in San Carlos..It is Embert & Smithers.. Not sure if the spelling is correct. They are on El camino.. They have been there since the 50's..They are great.. They worked on a old Model 11 shotgun I had that had a busted fireing pin.. I couldn't get the parts anywhere and he fabbed one up for me...Dan