Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gusset insides of cargo area to eliminate squeaky '73???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by avgas, Feb 18, 2004.

1. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

Gusset insides of cargo area to eliminate squeaky \'73???

Anybody try this? How do you think it would work? I'm thinking about welding in some steel gussetts to limit side to side motion in the cargo area. Squeaking is starting to get annoying /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: Gusset insides of cargo area to eliminate squeaky \'73???

Have you looked at your body/cab mounts? I swaw mine weren't that great and will be chanhing them out sometime this year.Could be making it squek /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I put a bar behind my back seat. This attaches the bed rails.

I like the idea of triangulation at the tail-gate... but that can limit my ability to install cargo a little bit.

The Iron Mountain's rock sliders, and finishing my six point cage has helped a lot with body flex. Hence, I can now see adding the rear main hoop (behind the back seat), and tying it into frame rails (like the main hoop) will solve this problem for me.

BTW: I have poly body mounts. I thought these would help, but didn't. The whole body and frame just flexes too much on these 73-75.

4. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

I actually did end up doing this(gussets), and about 80% of squeaks were eliminated. But what it helped most with I think is the tailgate not popping open when I get really twisted(so far I haven't tested this too much yet). Body mounts hopefully will help some more with squeaks and should restore the door alignment some as well. How do your doors look after the poly mounts top down?

-jake