Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gutless 454

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, May 17, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have an '87 1 ton with the stock 454. It has 108,000 miles on it. It's the most gutless truck I've driven (just about). Are all the low compression emissions motors this gutless? It has TBI on it, and it seems like I have to put it to the floor just to get up and go, to even keep up with tired 350's.

I can hear the TBi open up and dump the fuel in (and it uses ALOT of gas), but even with little 235/85R16 tires and 4.10's, its a whole lot worse on power/acceleration than my Suburban when it had a tired 350 in it.

Think a basic tune up would help? Or is it just naturally gutless?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Acutally, that sounds like something else! tired or not, it shouldnt be that bad. My 350 had that for a little while, it went away. Never figured out what it was, but try checking the spark... sounds like its just not firing out what it should be, and almost being smothered by the amount of gas in there.

Let me guess, it idles fine, if you hit the gas nice and slow, it moves fine, but the moment you try to do a full throttle, it just kinda boggs?

3. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

If the truck does have a CAT sounds like it could be restricted.
    Also check the fuel filter as well, might as well replace it if you are going to check it right. You can tell if the fuel filter is restricted after you take it out and blow through it, yes blow through it. It will be really hard to blow thru that is how you can tell it is restricted. Also as mentioned before is spark.
    These distributors (small cap ones) are prone to many problems. First at the shaft where the magnets are mounted sometime the magnets crack. Also the pick-up start to deteriorate and go bad slowly. They are easy to rebuilt. You would need a pick-up, and module and new cap and rotor.
    Stay with GM parts on this one, trust me. The modules are not cheap though. Also while you are at check/replace the cap rotor and wires. I have also seen large vacuum leaks at the base of the TBI set up. Check this with carb spray at the base of the TBI. Your timing maybe too retarded as well.
    Hope this helps some.
    T.J.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

A healthy stock 454 should have a nice push you back in the seat feel when accelerating. It should definetly feel as good as a 350 in a Suburban.

No offense but the fact that you're asking if a tune might help usually indicates that it's been too long since the last tune up. I'd start with changing the plugs, air filter, fuel filter and checking the timing. These items are relatively inexpensive to gamble on, unless you know for a fact one (or all) may have been done recently.

FYI - my wife had a 89 Cavalier that was TBI that had a clogged fuel filter. It ran rough, really bad performance, POOR gas mileage and lots of smoke. According to the dealer, the computer saw a drop in fuel pressure and began increasing it took keep it running (poor mileage & lots of smoke). It sounded hokey to me but they charged me $45 (w/ parts) to change the filter and the problem went away.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Check for trouble codes in the computer. If there are none
    Put in a new Fuel filter and tune it up. As said above, It sounds to me like a clogged fuel filter also.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have an '87 1 ton with a 350 TBI and 4.10 gears and it'll smoke the tires off from a dead stop. Something is definitely wrong with yours.

I had a cat on it before but I cut it off today and put duals on it.

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The TBI 454's are notorious for developing bad vacuum leaks at the base of the throttle body. The thick gasket between the throttle body and the intake manifold are known to crack and split open. I have personally experienced this problem on a 454SS pickup. Along with everything else mentioned you might want to check this.

Let us know what you find.

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info. I've just had the truck for 3 months now, and it looks as if its been a while since the last tune up. I'll have to save up the money (and the time) and get everything replaced as far as plugs wires, ign. module etc...
    I think it's probably getting like 3-5 mpg right now, so I better do something soon. Of course, about everything I have is due for a tune up, so I need to just save up a few hundred bucks and do them all.

I just now checked the oil, and it's about a quart overfull for some reason. But it doesnt smell like fuel at all, and its clean looking oil (not milky, gray, or thinned out). Maybe the last time I added some, I shouldnt have (maybe misread the dipstick)? or maybe Im the dipstick.