Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gutless k5 Update

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacob_coulter, Jul 10, 2005.

1. jacob_coulter

jacob_coulter Registered Member

If you don't remember, I had a 78 K5 Blazer with a 350 that seemed to have no power, it had trouble getting to 60 mph. Instead of throwing performance parts at it, we gave it a good tune-up, new cap rotor, wires, plugs, etc. It seems to run much stronger, but the problem now is getting the timing right. I've set the timing on cars before, but never on a 350 chevy. I can't seem to find the timing number plate to line the "line" up with. My guess is at some point it may have fallen off. How do you restablish the timing in a situation like this. Where does the plate mount to? Should I get timing tape and wrap it around the pulley?

What is a good setting for initial timing? I was thinking 12 degrees. Also, is there a good vacuum cannister GM p/n you would recommend?

I think the car is slightly pinging under full acceleration, it makes a "rattling" sound, I want to get the timing right.

Thanks again for the help.

Jacob

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

6-8* BTDC is a good place to start for timing.

If its detonating under full throttle, you've got too much timing. You need to retard the timing by a few degrees, by rotating the distribuitor clockwise. :thumb:

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Time by vacuum at the carb if you can see a timing mark by the timing cover. Be sure to pull and plug the dist advance if timing the engine by any method.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Do what he said and time it by vacuum.
    -Harrison

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just get a new bolt on timing tab for your diameter balancer and provided the balancer isn't shot and moved , you should be ok . Bolts to a timing cover bolt hole .

Less than 10 bucks at any speed shop , and UPS works if there aint a speed shop by you .

Now , me personally , I time it by light at emissions time . And usually by ear when I get around to it in between .