Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gutless nissan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pats79, May 4, 2006.

1. pats79

pats79 Registered Member

i know its not a blazer but i just bought a nissan for a daily driver and this thing is a gutless turd. it had some wiring problems and took it to a mech-a-neck and got the wiring fixed. i drove it home tonight and this thing has absolutly no guts. its tbi and when u put your foot into it, it kinda bogs and slowly speeds up, any ideas besides selling it. its an 86.5 xe/kingkab pickup 4x4:confused:help please!!!

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Fuel filter, cap and rotor, plugs and wires. General tune up stuff unless the check engine light is on.

3. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

put new fuel filter on it and check fuel pressure these trucks commonly had deep axle ratio to make up for the low power output, but they still should go pretty quick, like my 88 toyota 22RE does, its 3.89 and 2.4L EFI and AOD trans but it isnt slow at all but its funny as hell and ive been hauling loads of dirt and concrete on it around 1 ton a load about a dozen times on 8 mile round trips in the past week and it does great lol and i got it for free, all ive done to it is new timing chain and tensioner and guides and had it for almost two years now

good luck

4. pats79

pats79 Registered Member

i changed everything before taking it to the mech-a-neck, the last owner was in the middle of putting a used motor in it and all i had to do was finish the wiring, i had a toy with turbo 22r moter and this nissan is slower than snot compaired to it.

5. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

Your Turbo Toy would certainly go faster than a non-turbo nissan. Put a turbo on the nissan and call it good!!

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

We had that exact pickup since the time I was 4 years old, spent a lot of time driving it too, till it crapped out a year ago when my stepdad was towing a 3/4 ton on the freeway.:doah:

But yes, they are gutless. What RPM's are you bogging it at? Keep it above 2K if you want it to live long, that Z24i is not a low end motor. If you have a 4x4 kingcab, then that's the heaviest one they have, and you have a small motor, so yes, it's gonna be gutless. Now if you think that the motor isn't running properly, then that's another story. I just don't want you to be expecting too much from it.

7. pats79

pats79 Registered Member

well i talked to the mechanic that fixed the wiring and he said that the truck is running right and its just that guttless. its the 1st and last nissan ill ever own!!!!:mad:

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I think those were rated at about 150 HP.

9. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I used to have a '87 Pathfinder with the V6 in it (3.0?) and that thing wouldn't keep up with my girlfriend's mom's mini van. Never will I have another Nissan.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

What did you expect from a 4-banger that weighs that much? It's a good truck that'll get decent mileage, and last you a long time if you treat it right. There's no reason not to get one. If you're looking for power, you need to get a gas hog with some displacement. You should already know that.

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

120hp for the z24i. Which isn't that bad, considering that my 89 GM 2.8L V6 had 125. Two more cylinders, three more years of technology, and .4 more liters, and 5 hp is all they can come up with? I think nissan was doing alright...

13. pats79

pats79 Registered Member

well ive got a k20 pickup thats donating everything to a blazer so in the meantime i need a daily driver that can also haul a couple of dirt bikes or a 4wheeler for huntin. the nissan isnt goin to hack it, its headed down the road just as soon as i find a buyer, or toyota to trade it on.