Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gutting a Gov-Lok???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Nov 5, 2003.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I have only had experience with one Gov-Lok, a 1989 S10 7-5/8" diff. I didn't disassemble it, but it appeared to be a clutch-type posi with extra gizmos to do the locking. I was considering just gutting all the locking stuff (that didn't work anyway) and rebuilding it as a regular posi. Never got around to it though so don't know if it would have worked out.

Now I have a '77 12-bolt with a Gov-Lok in it and am wondering:

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Is the basic design the same as the smaller, newer version that I messed with?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Can I gut the Gov-Lok stuff and just use it as a posi?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Has anyone else done this???

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Aa far as I have seen, all the non-14 bolt designs are essentially the same.

I'm sure you can gut it, but I really doubt the innards are interchangeable between posi and gov-locks, although Eaton did/does make both.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the 89 7.5" is probably cone type just like in the firebird camaro 7.5" axles of the third gen years('82-92)

not rebuildable and are cheap just like gov lok are

theres not much that was built right after the very early 70's,. cept for TBI and TPI and someof the 5.7L engines and the 87-up 700r4 and 4L60 and 4L80 trannies and 14 bolt FF axles

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

S-10's used gov-locks just like 1/2 ton trucks. Went through this trying to find a replacement for my buddies '88 S10 Blazer. Probably went through 20 axles to find the one thats in his now. (all the pinion shaft bolts in the others I opened up were sheared)

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I havent seen a Gov Loc yet with cones instead of clutches.
    Yes the designs the same. I dont think it would work to take out the weight and speed sensor. Plus the case is alot more open on one side, making it weaker, and you wouldnt have any springs tp put preload on the clutches. You could always get a real posi.