Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

guys help me decide... my suburban vs newer truck.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Jan 7, 2006.

?

engine for the sub or superduty

1. buy a crate motor and get the sub running

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. buy a superduty and fix the sub in my spare time

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. im in a beanbag chair nekkid eating cheetos

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

im trying to decide what to do here.... i want my suburban running again but it needs a new motor. i also want a newer ford superduty with a powerstroke in it... both would be equally cool in my opinion, but i need to decide soon. i could drop $3K- $4K into my suburban and have a good new engine in it, or $20,000- $25,000 into a new truck and have payments but a really nice truck...

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i say go with the sub...but im a fan of older vechicles. the new truck would be nice but its not my cup of tea. why not find a 6.2 and nab that, or better yet a turbo 6.5 (complete vechicle and do a swap. you love diesels so why not? buying a newer vechicle with a 6.5 can be found for 4-6k with good motor/ tranny. you can part out alot and get all lthe parts you want, and have your diesel. if i was you, thats what i would do

P.s. Im naked cause my option wasnt up there. but really im in my computer chair eating cold pizza:p:

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sometimes it's nice to have a newer vehicle just for the feel and the fact that most of them don't nickle and dime you to death. I'm sure you've heard this 100 times over but if you want a PSD, don't go near the 6.0.

4. muddysub

yeah i love diesels but im not a fon of old GM deisels, if im buying a diesel its gonna be a computer controlled, turbocharged, international or cummins...

oh trust me i wont touch a 6.0L... im a diehard 7.3L fan and passionately hate the 6.0

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Wonder what it would take too make a Cummings Turbo Deisel work in your burb ??

6. muddysub

well it yould be awesome but it would take more money then i want to throw at it.. ive seen guys put 12 valve cummins motors in K30s and it turns out nice but you'll spend at least $5k on the motor and who knows how much to make everything work...

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you dont need to drop 3-4 grand on a crate motor to get te burb running
    ill bet with a little shopping ypu could find a good 350 for less than a grand

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fix the Burb.

9. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I say if you can afford it, get a newer truck and fix the sub. Then you could have a tow rig for the burb and the posibiltys that come with a trailer queen. Why get the crate motor? Its a burb on 36s, you wont be doing too many races. Get a good used engine swap in a cam and headers then wheel it till rusts away( that will be a while) :burb:

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i love my SD an i have a v-10 and manual 5 speed.it's a 350 with th plow package and it sits about 3 inches lower than my old chevy with a 6 in lift and 36s.:rolleyes: AND i smoke most ass wipes that try to beat me through the light.PPSSS and they thought.:laugh:

11. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

fix the burb... I will even sell you the motor to do it :haha:

but seriously, car payments are a bitch. If you want a diesel DD then fix the burb and find an old Power Ram with a TD Cummins. Both could be done for less then what you want to put in a down payment for the SD.

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I vote for a cummins swap into the Burb and that be the DD

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

get the burban running JUST ok, then ill come over from socal and take it off you hands, and drive it back :D

14. muddysub

no no no :shame: :shame: this is MY rust/dent/bondo free suburban... i talked to a good friend of mine from work last night that part times at a local performance shop and he's gonna work with me on building up the spare motor i have laying around here. so today the spare motor is coming home from mom and dads with me and this week it'll be torn apart and by the end of the month ill start building it up... just a decent 350 maybe a 383, decent cam that wont freak out the TBI, roller rockers etc...so hopefully by march or so the sub wil be up and running...