Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guys Help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 26, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Past week ive been hearin my baby whine... and in reverse it whines alot too... well i parked it for like 3 days straight and gues what big puddle of black [censored] under the rear dif... my gear oil was leakin... can you guys tell me what kinda gear oil to get for it and hwo should i go about replacing the seals and waht not? Thanks

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.11 gears, Lim Slip Dif, Force2 Catback, rear springs , Throtle body spacer.

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Synthetic gear lube runs some 40 degrees cooler than petroleum gear lube. Amsoil and Mobil1 are at the top of the heap.

A far as seals, where is the oil coming out?
    You may just need to remove the cover and run a bead of RTV silicone around it. Use brake cleaner on the cover and a thin film of oil around the housing. This way the RTV sticks to the cover when you take it off.

The whining may be from the gear setup, but it is not necessarily bad. I have a rear that whines a little but it is within spec and has been running for a long time now.

Poundin' the ol "pavment"!

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Where is the fluid leaking from? Pinion seal (where the driveshaft attaches to the rear diff area)? the diff cover gasket? the axle seal out by the drums?

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't remember what gear oil I run, but I think it is 90w-140 if I remember right. I had to replace the cover seal on the rearend and I went to GM and got a gasket for $5. I used the new gasket and some RTV. It hasn't leaked since. Oh ya, use synthetic gear oil. You don't even need to use a gasket. when I had the rearend rebuild they only used RTV and it didn't leak until I dragged it good on some rocks.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Leaking out of the differential cover bottom in the back of the rear differntial... im just gunna got o autzone ask themf for some synthetic oil and a gasket and RTV silicone i guess.. and just replace that... how do i fillthe dif up w/ the oil? and how much do i use? thanks

Kn filter

What I need: 4.11 gears, Lim Slip Dif, Force2 Catback, rear springs , Throtle body spacer.

6. Hossbaby50

There should be a fill plug on the passenger side of the diff. You use a normal extension to get it out. Just keep fillin it with oil until oil starts to leak back out the fill hole. I think my 10 bolt used 2 1/2 quarts or so, but don't quote me on that.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Where should i apply the RTV silicone? on the cover between itself and the gasket?

Kn filter

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

what is a normal extension? How would i get it out? Thanks

Kn filter

9. Hossbaby50

I put the RTV on the cover, then just stick the gasket on to the RTV and bolt it on. Use a 3" extension on a ratchet. The will be a square indented into a plug on the side of your diff. It is on the passenger side of the diff. It will be a little higher then half way up somewhere between the axle tube, and the driveshaft. By the way you use a 3/8" extension and just unscrew it like a bolt. The square for the extension might have road grime in it, just pick it out then unscrew.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You don't really need a gasket, I've always just used RTV...

90K5

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I realize that Hossbaby has had success with a gasket/RTV combo, but I've always used Ultra Blue Permatex without a gasket and have never had a problem with leaks. The reason I like the Ultra Blue is that you can see the bead once you put the diff cover back on.

One hint, TX: make sure you clean the diff face and the cover face REALLY well. This is a key step in avoiding leaks. Also, after you drain your diff get some Brakekleen and spray down the entire inside of the diff. Pull out any leftover crud from the bottom of the pumpkin and let the diff dry out for a while. I use an entire can of Brakekleen per diff......

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

12. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What exatly is brakekleen and what does it come in? Spray can?

Kn filter

13. Can Can

BrakeKleen does come in a spray can. Basically it's an oil eater- that's why you have to let any residual cleaner left in the bottom of the diff evaporate before putting the cover back on and adding new gear oil. Trust me, the stuff works[​IMG]!!!!

14. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Brakleen is Brake cleaner. And it comes in spray cans. When you have the diff open and cleaning out. Get all metal shavings out of the bottom....Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Brake cleaner is best for cleaning anything. I would not use anything else but this.

This type of cleaner cuts the grease quickly and dries fast so you can get to work on the differential. It does not harm the rubber seals at all.

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

16. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Also, I read in other posts that you wanted to know what gear ratio you had. This would be the perfect time to find out what you have. While your cover is off count the teeth of your ring gear and your pinion gear, then divide the number of teeth of your ring gear by the count of your pinion gear. Hope i didn't confuse you... here's an example.

Ring gear count of 41. Pinion gear count of 11.
    41divided by 11 = 3.727272 which means you would have 3.73s

Ric

<font color=red>Wheel hard or go home.</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=75454312203&n=1247070060>check out my K5</a>

17. Hossbaby50

The reason I used both was I had already bought the gasket before I found out that you could use RTV by itself. I was a total novice at the time, and I didn't feel like using $2 in gas to reture a $5 part. When I popped the cover and found only RTV I was kind of annoyed because I wasted the time to go the dealer, not to mention the money. Using both has worked out okay though so I'll stop complaining.

18. Can Can

Yeah, quit yer' whining!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]