Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guys I found it!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Jul 22, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok, if you hadn't found it yet, I found a place that sells a conversion for those of us with an electronic speedometer trying to use a mechanical output T-case. They sell a transducer and an ERA. Used in combination, they provide the computer with the signal it needs to function properly. The company is called Abbott Enterprises and the number is (800)-643-5973. I've got the part numbers and prices, so if you want them, just respond to the post.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Send them to me please.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

Transducer: $127.41 PN. 01870-0551
    ERA: $145 PN. 01860-0010

Kinda pricey, but if it works, it'll be money well spent.

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

I would've included it with the first post, but I misplaced my piece of paper with the info on it.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Kinda pricey, but if it works, it'll be money well spent.

[/ QUOTE ] KINDA!??? Wow... think I would go without for ~$275!!!

-Dan

6. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

can't you use something like this? speed sensor something like this runs around $80 and is what i'm using for my lt-1

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

Hey if it keeps my truck running good and makes everything work and I get to keep the benefits of the 205, then it's worth the money. Streetblaze, how does that thing work? I know that the other guy has a point about it being so expensive, but I wanna know how and if the thing works before I buy it.

8. 88streetblaze

it just plugs into inbetween the mech. sender and the cable and as it turns it creates a signal for either a computer or speedo. one thing you will need to check is how many pulses per revolution your speedo needs. but other than that i think that one wire is power and the other is what you would hook to the speedo..

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

I'm not trying to put anyone down, but is there anyone out there that can give me some good info on what I'm doing?

10. 88streetblaze

that depends on what you're doing, factory speedo?, if so there are other alternatives(cheaper also) that wouldn't take much to convert to different styles setup, like using a cluster out of 88 with a mech. speedo, or replasing the out put on the t-case with the sensor out of the factory t-case. but it should be possible to do cheaper than that

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

well, i was gonna run the factory speedo, but it doesn't really matter to me. either way, I'm still gonna need the electronic signal going to the computer. if someone could tell me how to put my speedo output in the 205, i would probably do that, but i'm lacking that someone. i know someone has done it before, i just need to find them.

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

13. 88streetblaze

if you're using the stock tbi i would try first to use the sensor out of the 208, which i think can be done without much problems but i've never needed to try, if that didn't work i would get the vss from painless(costs somewhere between $70-90 in jegs) and hook into the factory wiring, there will be 2 wires that connected to the factory vss, yellow which should be the signal and a ppl/wht which should be power. and that should get the signal to where it needs to be. the colors i used are for an 89 truck not a blazer but they should be the same.

14. BigOrange90Jimmy

So now I have to find a 208 that I can tear apart? I can't just use my 241 parts? I've got a 208, but I wasn't really wanting to use parts off of it. And is there any way you can explain it better? What will I do about my speedometer problem? This is the first time I've ever really messed with the stock wiring on my truck, so I don't know what will happen and I want to get it right the first time. (College student on a budget)

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if that didn't work i would get the vss from painless(costs somewhere between $70-90 in jegs)

does this seem that hard?

16. BigOrange90Jimmy

No it isn't that hard, I just don't want to be throwing money in a hole for something that doesn't work. Like I said, I wanna get it right the first time. So ya'll have used the VSS from Painless and it works? If so, I'll get that and find a different speedometer. What would really be nice is if someone has the factory tach dash they would be willing to sell.

17. 88streetblaze

my bad, assumption if the mother, i assumed that you would have a 208, but just try the electronic vss out of the t-case that the 90 had origianlly.

18. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, I just went through all of this with my 90 Blazer, got rid of the NP241 and went with a 203/205. You have to take the tail housing off the 205 and remove the output shaft, then remove the plastic speedo gear, I got a NP241 metal speedo gear (completly different) and had it taken down slightly to fit corectly, the tail housing needs to be machined to allow the VSS to simply screw in and thats it. The new 241 gear was like 20. bucks at a local Chevy dealership, Donovan (Ram grinding) from this site did all the work and knows how to do this now, just call and send him your junk, he is at 303-423-6152 and tell him I sent you.

19. BigOrange90Jimmy

I appreciate that Steve. Someone finally got me something real to work with. I also appreciate all the help from you other people. Hopefully I will be able to get this to work.