Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guys on 44's, whats your frame height?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Alaska Offroad, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Alaska Offroad

Alaska Offroad Registered Member

Guys on 44\'s, whats your frame height?

Subject says it all, whats your frame height at trail pressure/road pressure with your 44" swampers/boggers/ect?

Do you find yourself looking for more clearance?
    Have you made custom x-members to gain that last few inches of belly clearance?

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Re: Guys on 44\'s, whats your frame height?

I'm riding on 8" of lift with 44" TSL's. I'm pretty sure my frame height is 33", lower to the bottom of my tcase crossmember.

3. Alaska Offroad

what? only one guy here that runs 44's? /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I run 42s if that will help.

Most people on rocks do not run the 44s because they are often too wide and more expensive, so, you pay more for a tire that has some performance issues but very little improvement. Should be some mud guys back east though...

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm on 42's also, you'll find a lot of those, not as many 44's. A little math would convert it all.
    With the tires aired up I sit about 25.5 to 26" in the middle of the K5 frame. I'm actually looking for ways to lower it a bit more without losing my front axle bump travel. It has a few clearance enhancing mods to make it work at this height.
    With the full body I was pretty comfortable with 28" frame height.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've got an 80 K10 that measures 31" to the bottom of the frame right behind the body mount under the door. The truck has Superlift 10" lift with 50% tread 44" Swamper TSL's (25 psi).

I've never needed more undercarriage clearance but things are pretty flat here on the gulf coast - all mud, no rocks.

7. Alaska Offroad

If a moderator reads this, maybe they will change the subject line to "Whats your tire size, and frame height"

Stephen, and other rockcrawlers: how often is belly clearance and breakover angle an issue?

If you had more clearance at the frame, do you think you would have COG issues, and loose necessary offcamber stability?

8. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

42's and 26" frame height. Custom crossmembers, nothing hanging under the frame. Plans on skidplating but so much other things to be done... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

What ? 44's Yea now your talking. My 72 with 44' super swampers frame height is 37" with 10 lbs pressure ? maybe 36' 3/4 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But i have to make a subframe 7" so my frame would be 30" CA legal height...
    Later <font color="red">1 FN HI K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif </font color>

10. Alaska Offroad

Im at 27" with 45" goodyears, and would like a bit more clearance, but its never really been a problem. Id actually like to lower my rig about 3" but am not willing to give up any ground clearance. Hmm.... Tube Chassis here I come /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm finding it's a big balance between approach, departure, breakover angle, wheelbase, rocker clearance, ride height and CG height.
    In my case, I've always run with 4-6" of lift between suspension and the 1" body lift and put as much clearance as I could into the bumpers and armored the rockers. I've been happy with that lift height for most stuff as a compromise between all the above factors.
    I'm finding center clearance is not as big a deal as I thought it might be, it's more important that the belly be smooth than be way up there.
    The driving factor in my dropping the truck lately has been removing the rear overhang, moving the nerf bars up and cutting down the front width and approach angle. Now that I don't hang up on the corners I can drop it all down some and get increased stability.

It also varies a lot by what you're doing. If I lived in Farmington, I'd drive a really short truck with moderate tires, just because it's easy to find really steep stuff there. Go to montrose though and you'll hate life because you'll drag everywhere.

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sorry, forgot to post back on this. Ok, 4" lift, 42" TSLs, 5 lbs of pressure (maybe less) and 23" at the lowest point (that's with the wide K30 frame).