Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

guys runnig cadd motors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nstarry, Jan 29, 2005.

1. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

hey can I get away with not moveing the motor forward if I putt a 3'' body lift in?? and how many guys converted a t-400 (to a shortshaft) and if you didnt how did your tourque conveter work out ,starter (t-350)???

2. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I wish I could help more,but

I havent put the 500 caddy motor I have in anything yet--but going by what I've read online about such conversions,its the motor MOUNTS that need to be moved forward,not the motor itself--this can cause interference with he center link on 2wd trucks,but is easily solved,on 4x4's its not that much of an issue as far as I have read...

If you want to put a th350 to a caddy,you will have to use a th400 converter,because the caddy flexplate only has the "big" th400 bolt pattern drilled in it--maybe you could drill it for the th350 pattern,I'm not sure...I dont think a TH350 is able to handle a 500's torque very well,unless you baby it ,I wouldnt expect it to last too long...

I would go to www.500cid.com for more info on swapping a caddy motor into a GM truck,they have several people that have done it on their message board--I found a good write up on a 2wd conversion by typing the word "Chevrollac" on Google,and it will lead you to a link for a website called Victimizer Racing,the guys building a tow rig with a caddy motor,many good pictures ....:crazy:

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i dont know why an oldsmobile engine would need to sit more forward than a chevy engine, in 73-up anyways,

and by short tail do you mean 4x4 or 2wd short ?

5. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

Quote If you want to put a th350 to a caddy,you will have to use a th400 converter
    does a 350t slide on to a t-400 toque converter

and I mean a 4x4 short shaft I am trying to figure out how to use the cadd tranny so I dont need an adapter to bolt to the motor

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

More info--

The TH400 converter will slide right into a TH350 tranny,as long as its not a lock up converter style tranny(78 and older)..

I have the TH400 that came with my 500,I asked about using it in a 2wd C10 I have (79) and they said the caddy TH400,besides having a ridiculous 12 inch tailshaft,also has a caddy only bolt pattern on the tranny mount--to put a GM truck one on it would need an adapter you'd have to make---they suggested using a short tail TH400 out of a buick or oldsmobile,or a 79-up caddy that used the same design..the long tail will work in a 2wd truck,but the hassle of making the mount fit and the driveshaft is more work than its worth--one guy said a short tail TH400 will be close enough to the same overall length of a th350 with a 9 inch tail that is the usual stock 2wd tranny you could use the original driveshaft with a conversion U-joint ,and then the crosmember is the only thing you have to move and deal with...Are you planning on doing a swap in a 2wd or a 4x4?????

I've seen a few 4x4 trucks with the original TH350 and a caddy 500 or 472,they used an adapter plate to the tranny to adapt the caddy bellhousing pattern to the chevy TH350-(it seems to be the easiest way out)-I spoke with the owner of one of them,he said he's had no real trouble with the TH350,but doesnt beat on it very hard either--I've had 2 of them behind 454's and didnt blow them up,even plowed several years with one with a 400 small block after I sold the 454,and it took 15 years before it finally lost reverse--but I didnt beat the crap out of it that much either.,I knew the TH350 would not take as much abuse as a TH400,so I didnt smoke the tires or beat on it TOO hard.....:crazy: :grin:

7. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

just buy a 4x4 400 shaft and put it in the 400 you have then any tcase that would normally go on a 400 would fit

8. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

thats what I was wondering can I put a t-400 (4x4) short shaft in a caddy t-400 and then get a t-400 -205 adapter for my 205 and go

9. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

yes the internals are the same only the bellhousing is different

10. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

jimmy 350 is right, i took my caddy 400 & put a 203 output in it & mated it that way, it does require completely tearing the tranny down. the tail shaft is the last thing to come out. search my posts i have posted a good bit of tech & pics on how i put a 500 in my rig.

by the way my 500 crank is at the machine shop now getting offset ground to stroke it & so it will use bbc rods, new stroke should be close to 4.60".:D