Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guys with REAL flex, brake hoses

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Apr 4, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have the extended hoses, 25" long on my truck and they're still way too short.

We had my truck flexed about halfway today (pics later) and I almost ripped the hoses out!

Went to the store and got some 8" steel extensions and all is okay now, but I'd really like less of a hillbilly fix that doesn't involve stainless hoses.

Anyone here have a solution to this?

2. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Maybe have some custom length lines built for you? Not sure if they would be DOT approved but do they need to be long as you trust who did them? I was using the relocation brackets on mine and it worked ok with the sway bar, but now that the sway bar is gone I bought a set of the napa lines. But obivously you need something much longer. What kind of springs and stuff are you running that you have that much flex?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have Superlift springs with greasable bushings, swaybar is gone, crossover steering, my shackles are relocated and 7" long to allow it to compress completely without hitting the frame, Ford towers and 12" travel shocks.

I don't have MONDO flex or anything, but I've got enough that my 38.5s would hit the floorboards if the axle wasn't moved forward an inch and a half. I'm sure there are others here with more than me, but I was only flexed out halfway today when I got out and saw my brake hose stretched like a banjo string. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

SS brake hoses are the only non-hillbilly way to fix it, unless you ditched the the combo valve and went with a centerdrop line in the front similar to whats done in the rear then use the smaller/shorter lines to go from the caliper to the hardline mounted on the axle tube.

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i made a bracket that mounts on the bottom side of the support that orginally held the bump stop. it lowered the brake line about 6 inches. i am running the lines off a 2wd van.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    SS brake hoses are the only non-hillbilly way to fix it, unless you ditched the the combo valve and went with a centerdrop line in the front similar to whats done in the rear then use the smaller/shorter lines to go from the caliper to the hardline mounted on the axle tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considered that, but that's too much work.

What did you do? Stainless lines? I know you've got some pretty impressive flex with those 52s.

I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy stainless lines. grrrr....I have resisted it as long as possible.

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I don't have real flex but I made my own braided lines. I got banjo fittings and adapters for the flared hard lines from AFCO( the roundy racer speed shop in town had em in stock, I'm sure you could get something similiar with your AZ connections) and just used 4-AN braided lines which are available in various lengths. Probably not DOT approved but I've used em for 3+ years and had no problems and pedal feel/braking ability was not affected.

If I get more flex and need longer lines I can just get longer 4-AN lines cheaper than whole new lines. I can't remember the exact total but I know for sure it was less than the +/-$60 for Procomp or similiar kits that are available. I'm guessing that I spent around $40. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have the pro-comp 4" hoses. They are too short actually, I have the front limited about an 1" or so so I dont rip the hoses apart on full droop while turning. I would get the long hoses that are made for 8" of lift if I were you, that should be plenty of hose length for your truck.

9. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

Try this place brake lines they have lines from 9" to 53" (I think).

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the same setup as k2orion. I run the 3/16" IF to -4AN adapters at the frame. And the 3/8" banjo to -4AN at the caliper. Then a 36" SS -4AN line between them. Same thing front and rear except the rear is a single center drop 40".

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm. What brand name carries this stuff? Think earl's plumbing would have stuff like this?

Thanks guys!!

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I had some +12 rubber lines made. I don't like the braided stuff after seeing some of them with sand damage. Apparently it gets under the braid and just chews it's way through.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Where did you have them made? Can you get another pair? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sure, local guy here builds them. I had 3 custom built (any length I wanted) with support springs and hanger clips for under $100 total (well under IIRC, maybe $80?).

All Tube and Hose
    (602) 955-6262
    Phoenix.

Great guy, makes any kind of custom high pressure hose you want...

15. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I buy all my stuff from afcoracing.com

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll give him a call! Thanks!

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Tim, they're limiting devices, just like the monster trucks use. only these are dual purpose! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif you seriously need to get some and get some more poser shots. im sure you can find something much better to flex it out on. i wanna see what it'll do!

18. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

On the Blazer with coilovers all around I went with a center drop and lost the safety valve. Ended up having a lot better braking as a result. I used a Superlift braided hose for a rear axle application up front.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Tim, they're limiting devices, just like the monster trucks use. only these are dual purpose! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif you seriously need to get some and get some more poser shots. im sure you can find something much better to flex it out on. i wanna see what it'll do!

[/ QUOTE ]

We're going to flex it plenty on the trail. Flexing it in the yard was only to check tire clearance and such.

20. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I got some lines fromt he autoparts store that ere advertised as "RV" lines, they were extension lines that also used the stock line, they were about $12 each. Bolted right in. They were 24" so now I have 24" + stock ine length. its fackin long.