Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guys with rear disc brake conversion read this.........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jwduke, Feb 29, 2004.

1. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I did the disc brake conversion, like everybody has done. I had a horrible time bleeding the rear calipers, we tried everything, bled them on & off, and power bled them on & off. Well this buddy of mine that worked at the Chevy dealer in Sioux City fo years, took the rod between the hydrovac & pedel, and turned (cut) the part of the threaded sleeve off, that wasn't threaded. He then put a thin jam nut in there, and put it back togeather, but made it a couple of threads longer when he put it back in. Belive it or not, this cured my problem! My pedal isn't soft, and I have brakes like I have never had before.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

So, in effect you have a longer stroke on your brake pedal if I am understanding you right. By not having enough stroke you couldn't push all the air out of the lines before the pedal bottomed out. Is that correct?

3. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

You got it Kert! My buddy said the older ones (Pre 1980) were adjustable. And the best part, the pedel isn't any higher.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you using the Caddy calipers out back? If so, it's WAY less trouble to just reindex the parking brake levers to take the slack out of the distance between the rotors and pads. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Harry, I gave up on the Caddy calipers....... O'Reillys kept sending me Seville calipers, and they will not fit, unless you grind the pads in to oblivian....

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That sux! They're similar but definitely not the same. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I just used a front set of calipers and am using a stock 3/4 ton booster/master. I had no probs?

8. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I'm still using my 1/2 ton stuff. I also used a '80 Corvette (disc/disc) proportioning valve, as it was cheaper than a adjustable proportioning valve. I have no lock-up issues using this, plus it is a exact swap for the proportioning valve we now have.